Thursday Morning

 My happy place. I've been doing the whole "eat down the fridge" thing this week. I've been getting lots of local produce from my neighbor, who accidentally got herself into a CSA that is too big for their family. Right now we are getting lots of leeks, bell peppers, jalapeños, eggplant, cucumber and kale/collards/other greens. I've been making frittatas and ratatouille to use it all up. I'm starting to think about freezing a bunch of meals for when I am recovering and trying to decide what to make. I have a whole batch of chili frozen, but that's it so far. I'm going to work on this when we get back from vacation. Need to find some freezer favorites as its been a while since I've prepped food specifically for the freezer/to eat at a later date.

I ran with friends both Tus and Wed, which I don't usually do, but Tuesday my normal gym routine wouldn't have worked because of volunteering at the school. Tus was really cold with crazy gusting winds, and I hear there was a ton of snow in the mountains. We saw a beautiful coyote. Wednesday morning there was actually a frost warning, and I dressed super warm, but by the time we set off from the bus stop at 8:15, the sun had warmed things up enough to make it perfect running weather. I got in 7 miles and we saw three coyotes and a bull snake. The most challenging thing about trail running out here (besides the elevation and the constant hills) is that you constantly want to be looking at the beauty around you, but you also have to watch the trail, for both snakes and rocks/places to trip. The mule deer are everywhere and I think that the elk should be showing up relatively soon. The Prairie Dogs seem to be in a fever, chirping and running all over. I have a thing for them, even though I know they are rodents. They are the cutest rodents I've ever seen! I mean, really? 

What are they waiting for? They just make me happy, seeing them run around from burrow to burrow with their buddies. 

The past two days have been cold, soccer practice Wed night was a nightmare for those of us who aren't under 10 and weren't running around like banshees. Looking ahead at the forecast though its going to be almost 80 or so most of next week. Cold nights, sunny days. 


A bull snake that I almost stepped on during my Wed run. They aren't poisonous, in fact, they are very territorial and will keep rattlers away. They are the one snake everyone wants in their yard. Snakes are EVERYWHERE out here, and I'm getting more used to them, but still get nervous when running, at times, as Rattlesnakes are prevalent. Seeing them underfoot still makes me jump a bit.

For some reason I woke up super early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. I'm hooked on the book "I am Pilgrim" right now and totally recommend it. It's been a good week. Monday I did a class called "Rhythm and Reps" which was cardio dance moves mixed with weights. Really just a way to say "choreographed HIIT", I think. Tuesday and Wednesday I ran. Today, back to the gym. I won't run again till Saturday, when I have an early morning meet up with a friend scheduled. I haven't been playing any golf as our course closed August 1 to re-do all of the greens. Team Play is over and other than a few weeks ago when my parents were visiting, I haven't played in nearly a month. The course plans to re-open May 1, so right now I've just put golf on the back burner and am looking forward to getting back out there in May. 

The Aspens are peaking right now, and we may try to get out to see them on Friday, as the kids have off school for fall break. I'd like to head to Kenosha Pass, which is about 70 miles from our house. I hear it's one of the prettiest local places to enjoy the fall colors. 

What happened to yoga? I'm not sure. I taught right up until we closed on our old house, and haven't taught since. I haven't looked for a teaching job. I think that moving here right at the start of summer break made me know that my focus had to be the kids and getting the house together. Then, they went back to school and I have been more focused on making friends, making the house feel like home/filling in the empty spaces, and simply being outside. I guess I'm in a yoga rut? I just bought a groupon for a place called Core Power Yoga, for unlimited classes for a month. I'm planning on starting it in Dec or whenever I am recovered enough to begin. I'd like to get back to teaching….though the yoga scene is very different out here. Lots of "branded" yoga. I don't know if I would have to get recertified/additional certifications to teach at some of these type places. There is yoga at my gym, I've been….its okay. Not great. Really I just need to refind my own practice a bit before I'm interested in bringing it to others. I miss it, but also don't. I guess yoga and I are taking a little break. It's not you, yoga, its me. Right now we have an empty first floor bedroom that I could turn into a yoga space for me, and that is one of my goals for my recovery. It gets good light and has it's own bathroom, but the floor is carpeted which isn't my favorite to practice on. Nonetheless, I need to get back to a daily meditation practice and a daily yoga practice, even if it's a short one. Goals. 

I also need to go get all of my own ski stuff. I grew up skiing, started at about 8 and was sure that I was someday going to live in Crested Butte and be a ski bum. That didn't happen, of course, but I used to really, really love skiing. When I moved back to PA at about 25 that part of my life ended as I moved on to other things, and I haven't skied since then. I admit that I'm a little nervous about starting again (a previously broken hip makes you very aware of the risks of falling)….but I think that it will be good. The plan is for the kids to spend most of this winters trips in all day ski school, so Nate and I can rediscover our ski legs at that same time. 

So? Goals. Try to stay on track through vacation. Keep on focusing on being at my best for surgery. Allow myself the time to recover (and you know this isn't my strong suit, so I'm doing everything in my power to make this a success. I'm hiring a cleaning person for 6 weeks. Mom is coming. Kids will be in school all day once she leaves, and some friends are bringing meals and I hope to have lots of freezer meals for the family. Not sure what else I can prep at this point to make recovery easier.) Once recovered, fall back in love with my yoga practice and begin teaching again. 

Comments

Popular Posts