Week one

 My beautiful view while I was on a walk during Julia's soccer practice. The air smelled amazing with the scent of warm grass and the sun was warm and the breeze was perfect and there wasn't a sound other than crickets and prairie dogs. You just DRINK in nature out here as it is so in your face and astonishingly beautiful.
Okay! It was a great week. I got in a well rounded mix of weights, cardio and lots of good old fashioned running and walking. Took two long walks with friends. Ran 7 hilly trail miles with friends on Wednesday. HIIT, body pump and even a super fun dance party class on Friday.

Weekly stats: Total steps were 131,102, weekly high was 27,176 on Wed when I ran, low was saturday with just 7,741 as I didn't work out (Soccer takes over our lives this time of year). Today I have been a BUM, as I was riveted to the Ryder Cup all day. Amazing win for the USA and simply tremendous golf all around.

63.24 miles total, high of 12.39 on Wed and a lot of 3.18 on Saturday.

My  average "burn" of calories anywhere from 2,120 to 2682 during the week. This is good as it means that I get to eat a lot. While I want to lose weight I abhor being hungry.

657 "active minutes" of exercise.

8 hours 28 minutes average sleep/night for the week

End result? I lost two pounds. I decided to just weigh in on Fridays as the daily weigh in is just too much in terms of fluctuation….I want to see progress over time.

We had a nice weekend with friends, going out to a place with good mexican food and EXCELLENT margaritas with our neighbors and all of the kids on Friday night. Saturday night we went to a ridiculously fun "Beers and Cheers" party at a different neighbors house. The neighbor is a home brewer and I swear I wish I had taken photos of the 12 different beers that he had on tap (and two ciders, which I enjoyed!). He takes his home brewing very seriously!

This was us headed to the party with our brand new corn hole boards! Aren't we classy with our wheelbarrow?


The week held some fun volunteering at the kids school (I do math help with the first grade every friday, and this week worked at Donuts with Dad), a great field trip for Jake (hence the pumpkin photo) and lots of soccer practice and cooking. My kitchen is my favorite part of our new house, and I've found myself loving afternoons in the kitchen preparing the evenings dinner while listening to classical music on the Amazon Echo. Her name is Alexa and we are all in love with her. To be standing elbow deep in meatball meat and to simply be able to say "Play singer songwriter music" or "What is the latest news with the election" is amazing. I'm hooked.

Making friends when you move to a totally new place is a process. I very much lucked out with a fantastic next door neighbor and two other neighbors who I have gotten close with. I admit that I came from a place where I was so comfortable with my friends, there wasn't any "trying" involved. Living here now I have to remember to actively reach out to people that I like, to text and invite people to lunch, or to go hiking, or to get together, period. It's an awful lot like dating, really.

This week we also picked up all of the kids skis, boots and ski gear.

They are just SLIGHTLY excited for ski season.


The biggest issue that we are facing at the moment is three kids who are dying for a dog. We are considering it. We would pretty much have to find one directly after we get home from Mexico, or simply decide to wait till the spring (because potty training a puppy in the heart of winter would suck). Our neighborhood is FILLED with dogs (big dogs, little dogs are a huge liability out here due to predators) and the kids are getting their fill of playing with new puppies thanks to some friends who have puppies ranging from an 8 week old chocolate doodle (I didn't know these existed, and immediately came home and tried to find one!) to a spirited 14 week old pup named Lucy who belongs to our friends across the street, to a 6 month old GIANT of a german shepherd mix. 

I have totally mixed feelings. I just had my new kitchen table and chairs delivered this week and all I keep thinking about is a dog gnawing on the legs of our furniture. I think about all of the weekends we are going to be skiing and what will we do with the dog? I think about fur. I hate fur. I keep thinking that adopting an older dog (like between 6 months and a year) might be better, but then I think about missing out on all of that sweet puppy stuff or about having to untrain them out of bad habits. I also think about how incredibly sweet it is to see my kids with all of these friends dogs, and about how much they would benefit from having that kind of loving relationship from a dog. 

I went shopping this week, something that I had been avoiding a bit as I simply wasn't happy with myself. It sounds crazy but I feel like I already look different, and could deal with the whole buying new clothes thing. I went to Nordstrom Rack, which I had never been to before, and CLEANED UP. Great jeans, great t-shirts, great everyday ware. Also, great prices. I'm hooked. I have literally not worn a pair of high heels since moving. The entire dress code out here is so different ~ my poor Lily Pulitzer would look wildly out of place out here. I feel like half of my wardrobe is extraneous. 

I can't believe that a week from now we will be packing for Mexico, we are going monday-friday. I'm so looking forward to the trip, to seeing the kids enjoy the beauty of Mexico and the many fun amenities and excursions that the resort we are staying at offers. We also just booked our tickets to go visit my parents in Naples, FL, in March. We will get to celebrate Julia's birthday with them, which will be so much fun! I miss my parents terribly. I also think that my relationship with them is even better since moving. It's funny but the saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder" is so very true. We no longer take for granted sheer proximity ~ I've talked to my Dad more via FaceTime since I moved than in probably two years (my Dad is amazing, but a lot of the day to day all involves my Mom. I talk to her and she relays important info to him, but we didn't actually used to talk all that much. Moving has changed that, and it made their recent 5 day visit so amazing. 

One sneaky side effect of moving has been that I feel closer to Nate than I ever have. We have had to rely on one another in totally new ways as we navigate our new home and our new life. It has been so good for us, and for us and the kids. I feel like living in a place that is so relaxed (and believe me, Colorado is SO RELAXED coming from the east coast) has already started to make me a more relaxed person. This has had positive effects on both my marriage and my relationship with my kids. As a family, we are closer. Instead of Nate and I being out with friends a lot on the weekend and using our sitter, we now spend most of our weekends as a family. We haven't actually been on a night time date since we moved almost 4 months ago ~ instead we do a lot of lunch dates or sneak out to play golf while the kids are at school. It's been really nice. 

Surgery update! I'm having a hysterectomy on Oct 27. My Mom is flying in to help, staying Wed-Tuesday. I feel so grateful that she can and will do this for me, and the kids and Nate will all be better off for the direct help in the first few days. I can admit that when I went in for my pre surgical appointment I had such mixed feelings ~ I literally was wiping away tears as I got my ultrasound surrounded by cute images of in utero babies. It's not that I don't want the surgery, I very much do. It's not that I actually want another baby, which I very much don't. It's just the finality of ~ Yep! You are done having babies. That part of your life is over, permanently. No more 20 week ultrasounds. No more baby squiggling around inside of me. No 6th person in our family. And I KNOW THAT I DONT WANT ANOTHER BABY…..but saying a forever aloha to that phase of your life in such a dramatic way makes me feel a lot of feelings. I'm lucky in that I don't have to have my ovaries removed, so won't need any kind of hormone replacement. It's a big step, but one that will free me from daily BCP, constant breakthrough bleeding, and cramping and melasma and all of the other crap that I'm dealing with now. 

This has been a bit of a huge brain dump, so I apologize. Week one, 2 lbs. I'd like to do the same thing this week…..lets see?

I hope you had a wonderful weekend. 

Comments

Popular Posts