Snowshoeing


I'm all signed up for my first snowshoe excursion with a group. Way back a million years ago in the patchouli scented years, I used to love snowshoeing. I'd go up on the North Cascade trail or to Mr Rainier and have a great time, all winter long. I sold them years ago when I moved back to PA, and recently decided to get back into it. Doing this is easy ~ snowshoes are not expensive, and I already have poles and all of the other requisite gear (which is essentially a camelback or backpack,  and legs. If you can walk you can snowshoe!).

The biggest challenge thus far has been our crazy warm weather! With a foot of gorgeous snow falling on Sunday, I got my chance. I went with just one other friend, and it was amazing! The thing that always gets me when you are out there is the quiet. Wilderness is already pretty quiet. Add in the muffling qualities of loads of snow and you have the perfect background for a meditative walk. I have a group show to an alpine lake coming up with REI. They can book small group excursions and friends and I set one up. We need some equipment that I don't have for the ascent, like an ice axe and crampons, and at this juncture I don't want to buy those things. I like the comfort that comes with having a professional guide on a first ascent.

It's been a lovely little week so far. Nate has been home, the weather is wintery but warm and I'm right on track with my marathon training. I had a solo 8 mile run on Sat, then 7 Tus and Wed with a friend and in a group. Today, no running, I teach gentle yoga and do a fitzone workout. Tomorrow teach twice and then head up to spend the day hiking with my friend Hiroko. I'm trail picking now, this is my favorite part of Thursdays. The weekend is busy, kids sports Saturday and Sunday and teaching Sunday. A few meetings today, our official first board meeting of the year for the 18 hole board and a "Parents information night" for middle school. MIDDLE SCHOOL. I'm going to be the Mom of a middle schooler in a hot minute. Julia got braces yesterday, I'm setting up "skip school go skiing" surprises for the kids birthdays and I am awed and amazed at how much fun it is having these little pre Tweens in the house.

But. How bout them Eagles? We had planned to be in Breckenridge next weekend, but I'm rethinking as it's gone from "the Superbowl" to "Our Superbowl". I had tears in my eyes every time I heard the Eagles fight song, and I heard it a lot Sunday. Missing home and good food.

On the food front. Last night felt like a holiday as Julia's Bball practice got cancelled and Nate was home. Those two things combined on a weeknight never happen! I made a delicious Drunken Noodles, I heartily recommend this recipe. http://thewoksoflife.com/2016/03/drunken-noodles-pad-kee-mao/.

A quick few notes. I've only been teaching yoga for 4 years. In that time, I have already seen the incredible change in the music available to teachers. I swear when I started I was making sure to include CD's in my yoga bag as a back up when I was teaching! Now I'd be up a creek with that approach, as you don't even have places to put a CD anymore, if you had one. The challenge was that I was teaching a lot of classes, and needed a wide array of music available to me. Music was one of the most annoying aspects of teaching, in the beginning. I'm not an iPod person, I stream almost all of my music. The problem with streaming is that you need to be online ~ generally I'm in airplane mode when I'm teaching.

My solution. I use Spotify for music. I find it very easy to search other peoples playlists and to have an incredible variety of music and genres available at your fingertips. For fit zone I'm loving the Ap called Fit Radio. You can sort DJ created playlists by genre, BPM, activity or artist. Combined with The FlexTimer ap, I'm all set to teach. Flextimer is what I use to connect to our clocks in fit zone. When I used to do a tabata or HIIT workout I would just use the "timer" function on my iPhone. Now I use Flextimer, setting up "rounds" with designated rest time that I can build in. Its so much easier than keeping an eye on the clock and hitting buttons constantly. The real trick though is using your "do not disturb" function on your phone. The WORST is being in the middle of a yoga class and your teachers phone call or text notification comes through the speakers. If you are in airplane mode Spotify or FitRadio don't work.  Do not disturb. New favorite function that everyone else on earth probably knew about a long time ago.

I'm all registered for an upcoming Kathryn Budig "Aim True" workshop! I've never taken a class with her and I'm looking forward to it. A friend in PA told me she loved the workshop so hopefully I will as well! One more little adventure coming up....a 4 day silent retreat. That means silence. No talking. More on all of that later. Drunken noodles for breakfast make perfect sense, right?

Comments

Popular Posts