A kid in a candy store.

Thats right.

This is me.

I don't even know where to start some days. This whole having kids in school thing is amazing. Its given me time to binge organize, shop for some things that the house needed, and have days like today, where I very literally feel like a kid in a candy store.

Wednesdays are Jake's long days at school. That means that he is there 9-2. We walk the bigs up to their bus stop around 8:30, then drive him to school. By 9 I'm pulling out of the parking lot. On this beautiful 75 degree cloudless crisp day I had my yoga clothes on, a towel and change of clothes and my golf clubs in the car, and a great lunch packed up. I headed straight for the yoga studio where I am doing my teacher training. I have been attending as many classes as possible there ~ It blows away ACAC's yoga program. The studio is serene, with a raised platform for the instructor, great murals on the walls, serene lighting, great music, and amazing instructors and small class sizes. Quite the change from Janice's lights on music-less 40 person Wednesday morning classes!!! I took a 9:30 class, and by 11 was at ACAC for 45 minutes of stairs while I finished my book. I changed and headed straight to Chester Valley, eating in the car, and practiced golf for a full 90 minutes (getting to chip and putt for 45 minutes, alone, in the sunshine, was heavenly), before quickly hitting the grocery store for some fruit and getting to Jakes school at 2. We ran to the mall to pick up something, then were home to greet Julia's bus at 2:50. I showered while they played, and we got Luke off the bus at 4. We all made a loaf of Banana Bread and are now about to eat an early dinner before Julia's first soccer game and Luke's back to school night. Nate is out of town and thankfully my Mom is helping me get the kids home from soccer and into bed so that I can attend Luke BTS night. What a day.

The freedom to attend yoga at the studio (which has no childcare) or to go hit golf balls, or to meet a friend for coffee or a pedicure, is still sinking in. The days where I just have Jake are amazing (all day Tuesday and Thursday and every afternoon) ~ the one on one attention that I can now give him is great ~ it totally makes up for all of the shuffling around I feel like I had to do with him when he was a baby.

I am so, SO glad that I chose to do this Yoga teacher training program now. I am SO glad that I chose the studio that I did to do the training at. It is 5 minutes from my house and I have found a teacher who I really look up to and I hope to ask to mentor me. I love the tranquility of the studio and the variety of classes that they offer (everything from a weekly inversion class that is truly ASS kicking to weekly yoga for the rounded body, prenatal yoga, and meditation classes). I feel like I am entering into a season of inwardness ~ pulling back a little from commitments, from obligations, from taking on things that I simply don't want to do ~ and being okay with it. Right now its about my kids, and about Nate, and about me. I've picked up my volunteering with the food cupboard, and am grateful to be able to have found an organization that I care about in the midst of all of this gluttonous me me me time. I continue to feel the impact of Nate's school ~ maybe I'm just more sensitive than other people or don't get over things as quickly as others, but the 2 years of pulling the load for the family and all that we underwent in that time (between the broken hip and Jakes trauma) seriously took a toll on me. I'm enjoying sharing parenting again with Nate, and am enjoying being able to be a little bit selfish with my time. I don't know how else to explain it, but on a Saturday morning I really enjoy saying ~ YOU have the kids this morning, I will see you after yoga! It feels good investing in me while he invests in them, especially knowing that we still have loads of family time leftover as the intensity of my program pales in comparison to what he went through. It is a luxury compared to a death march.

I'm rambling. But I'm happy. Really happy. The kids are absolutely thriving in their schools. I could not possibly be more happy with our decision to switch to Kesher this year. October is loaded with activities and I can't believe that fall is really in full swing.

Comments

  1. Happy is good, not selfish. Good for you, for the kids, for nate, just good. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving my free time while my kids thrive at a great school as well. Appreciating this new stage and all the work that went into getting us here. I can't even imagine how wonderful it is for you after the past whirlwind. Enjoy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts