Saying NO to unnecessary crazy.


Its been an amazing weekend. I had my first ever Mother Daughter weekend with my sweet 5.5 year old. It was a fantastic way to kick off her first year of kindergarden and full day school, and I enjoyed every minute of our time alone together. From pedicures to a fancy dinner out to shopping to snuggling down in my bed watching a movie.......it was blissful. Time alone with just one child when one is used to having three alone is truly wonderful, and my Julia is a delightful little person. She is calm, and insightful, and just fun all around. We also practiced yoga together, which both of us love to do.

I've been thinking a lot about "unnecessary crazy", especially as we head out of this blissful summer of no schedules and into school and soccer. I've identified a couple of places of unnecessary crazy in my own life. One I have decided to do away with entirely, and one I have decided to come up with healthier coping mechanisms than the ones I've been currently employing. Certain things we simply can't cut out (like certain relationships), but we always, always can choose how we respond to them. I walked into a 90 minute yoga practice yesterday morning upset at being late due to circumstances beyond my control and other things. My mind was swirling. 5 minutes into my practice my heart was calm, I felt at peace, and as I set my intention for my practice and for my day, my anger was gone. Now, I can't simply slip into yoga postures in the middle of an argument or an uncomfortable situation. But I can remember that when my heart gets racing or I am allowing myself to feel hurt or slighted that it is a choice......a decision. I've had times in my life where I've found people to be triggering to me on FB or other mediums like that. Rather than continue to feel frustrated or triggered, I've found great relief in simply taking advantage of the ability to simply hide their posts, or unsubscribe from the particular feed that is creating that response. Again, one cant hide or unsubscribe from certain relationships, but one can choose to stop allowing themselves to respond in anger or hurt. The problem in struggling with anxiety is that ones emotions can spiral, ones thoughts can seem to simply fixate on a feeling or problem to irrational levels. That happens to me at times, and I hate it. Yoga can stop that in its tracks, for me. Setting up a dedicated practice area in my home has been TREMENDOUSLY helpful to me in the past month. When I feel those emotions arising, I simply can escape to my mat. I find that whatever the issue, going through a series of asanas can get me out of my own head. No negative emotions are allowed to follow me into the space of my mat. Whether I focus on just working through sun salutations or focus on some hip openers or inversions, my mind stops racing, I focus on gratitude and all that is wonderful in my life, and by the time I leave my mat whatever was causing my heart to race is behind me.

I refuse to give up any more of my days to people who are negative or hurtful. I am blessed with wonderful and loving friends and a husband and children who love me just as I am. That is enough. I am enough.

I had a beautiful 75 minute power yoga class this morning. I've been working peacefully with my daughter all morning preparing to entertain tonight. I love my home and our friends who are coming over tonight. My boys and husband just came home. We are all prepared to head into what I hope will be a wonderful school year ahead. We have healthy bodies and are blessed to be surrounded with love and to be able to meet our needs for shelter and nourishment and whatnot. All we can do, every day, is love one another and accept one another where we are. That is enough.

May you have a beautiful labor day.

Comments

  1. Just sending you some love. Wishing you continued peace and happiness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts