Some cow on your face.

So this is what we were doing in class today. Cow face pose. Sexy name, right? Or, rather, this is what some people in the class were doing. Me? I was all

Because between running, doing stairs and other cardio, and, yeah, that whole broken hip 16 months ago thing, my hips just scoff at the entire notion of doing anything remotely close to what this person is doing. I'm generally extremely bendy.....till we get to anything involving the hips, when I'm pretty much just sitting there looking out the window. I try to act like I'm thinking deeply, or something.

I mean. I do modify the pose, or just go into pigeon, or put my bottom leg out straight, but it is almost comical how tight my hips are. I have been working on them for months years, and this is just how my body is. So. So how to teach things that you simply cannot do? Its an interesting question.

I went to the Downingtown studio today, which is pretty, other than the carpeted floor, which is something that I have never, ever seen in a yoga studio before. They call it the "tree house" because it is on the third floor of a building and the entire thing is windows. That makes it quite lovely. It was a level 1 class with Danielle, my first with her. I enjoyed it a lot, there was good energy in the room and I enjoyed her pacing and cuing.

I'm exhausted tonight after taking the kids out to dinner and to the parade with Jeannie and Tim. Nate is gone M-F this week, which means early nights to bed and lots of yoga reading for me. The house is clean, the kids are happy, Nate had great meetings today, I had great yoga and time with friends today, and all is well. I'm looking forward to an exciting weekend ahead, some dance party and an inversion class tomorrow. the nervousness of asking someone to mentor me (its like asking someone out on a first date).........She's a little intimidating. Wish me luck.

Comments

  1. Good luck! :)

    One of my instructors can't do a few poses due to bad knees. She is very honest about it and just asks one of the "veterans" to demonstrate if a demo is needed. It usually works out just fine and is a good reminder that we all have our limits.

    (I have super tight shoulders combined with a large chest, which means most anything that requires crossing in the front is difficult at best. I keep working at it though.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. if it's something that I just flat out have not gotten close to ever being able to do, I don't teach it. I included hanumanasana in some classes (with students *I knew* very well and knew they could safely do it) I taught before I actually experienced getting into the full pose - but my mentor said specifically about me teaching that pose, "do you have something to offer?" and the answer was YES. so, maybe you teach a modification, and you are able to truly empathize with students whose bodies are similar, and you will have more to offer them than someone who's never struggled with it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts