Back in the saddle.

So today I decided to be strong. I fully wanted to be a wimp. Between the miserable depressing weather (we are obliterated in a snow fog with pouring rain to boot), my entire day spent in bed yesterday, and all that has to be done in anticipation of vacation, there was part of me that wanted to play the sick card a little longer. I know how these things go, however ~ one excuse turns into another and then its been a week since a workout. A body in motion tends to stay in motion, and all that. I got in 8 on pace on the treadmill, but that it was one of those days where I was looking under my towel quite frequently to check where my mileage was at. To round out my cardio I put in 15 minutes of stairs, calorie burner, level 11. All in all it was a good day, I felt well hydrated and was glad to get my legs under me again.

I recently joined the "Runners World" forums and posted some questions about goal pace setting for a marathon for a newbie like me. I was surprised to hear that I should slow down to a 9:30 or 10 minute/mile as I begin o build my distances. I think that luck and will and athleticism are enough to get one through a 1/2 marathon, but I seem to be realizing that to tackle a full, a lot more knowledge and planning is involved. I'm going to be on the lookout for a good marathon running book ~ I want to understand more of the science of training, eating, hydrating etc. Anyone out there have one they can recommend? Maybe my Pompano Beach friend has suggestions?

Comments

  1. I have Runners World Complete Book of Women's running. I am clearly not using it and you are more than welcome to have it. Message me if you want it and I will get it to you. Good luck on your journey. Jen S

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks Jen! Do you know if it has marathon specific info?

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the front it says "The best advice to get started, stay motivated, lose weight, run injury-free, be safe and train for any distance" I would like to answer your question by saying yes I "read" it in the book but that would be a downright lie...LOL! Flipping through it it does have a beginner marathon schedule and an advanced. It definately has some information you are looking for (and probably a lot of basics you might already know). Honestly I have had this for a few years and do not plan on reading/using it at this point. You are welcome to have it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts