Tiring of treadmill.


Yesterdays outside run made me long to get outside again, and I ran my 6 today with a bit of a chip on my shoulder. I feel a little like this guy, but disadvantaged by only having two legs. I don't know how I am going to schedule these long runs this summer.....I think that I am just going to have to pick a day and commit to hiring a babysitter ~ I'd like to make Fridays my long run day, so once Brooke is done teaching I'm hoping to line her up for the summer.

I'm itching for spring, I can't wait to take advantage of the three mornings/week where I drop off the bigs and can run pushing Jake. He sometimes gets antsy after about 5 miles or so, but hopefully I can at least start getting outside three or four days a week in another month or so. Yes, that is probably wishful thinking as another month is only February.

The running with music thing is new to me, I had never done it before about 6 weeks ago....and I already wonder if I am hooked, or if it just a requirement for me when tethered to the treadmill. Do you run with music? Sometimes? All the time? In races? Curious to hear what works for other people, and why.

Comments

  1. I am no serious runner, but I will give you my input any way. ;)

    I started running with music, but I found that it was holding me back. I was setting my pace by the music. I stopped running with music at the suggestion of a runner friend, and it made a huge difference. There are still days where I run with it, but I have to watch my pace closely.

    One alternative that I have used is audio books. They don't seem to affect my pace, but I have to make sure they are "fun" books because sometimes I forget what I just heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrienne, I feel like a dork, but how do you get the books? On iTunes? AND, do you have any fun books you can recommend?

      Delete
  2. I so admire your ability to run on the dreadmill. Even music hasn't helped me in that area, so I can't convince myself to make that kind of purchase to have one at home. Most of my running is in the dusky (or dark this time of year) evenings and in several 2 mile loops around my sub, but I still like to feel the forward movement and progression I don't get from the 'mill.

    As for music, I run with it 95% of the time. I love Pandora and have several stations for variety. But I also like podcasts (Real Time with Bill Mahar is a favorite along with Freakonomics Radio) and audio books for letting me zone out on long training runs (which I don't have this time of year, but still). I only run with one ear bud (cut the other off so it doesn't flap and bother me) and still enjoy the surroundings and stay aware. I run alone, so music really helps keep me motivated without having a partner with whom to converse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So (again, tech dork) do you download things to your ipod or iphone or what? We watch Bill Maher religiously but I loved Freakonomics and would be fascinated to find it......where? How? I need like really simple brainless instructions as I'm not very smart. Thanks and thank you :)

      Delete
  3. When I was still able to run, I didn't run with music. I've thought about trying it, though, once I can (hopefully) get back to running. I do wonder if it might affect the pace.

    Loved the rat analogy. So funny and so true! I much prefer running outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to ask if you have tried any of the websites that give you music by pace? If you find yourself being affected by the music, you might just need something to match a faster pace. My friend really likes http://jog.fm/.

    My pace is the same regardless...i.e average, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karly I went to that "Rock my run" site and downloaded a bunch of music but though I have it on my itunes it will NOT upload to my iPod. Isn't that odd? The music that I run to is music that I pretty much can't listen to in real life ~ I'm much more of an OAR Bruce Springsteen Ani DiFranco kind of girl and that just does NOTHING for me when it comes to running......but throw a little Lady Gaga on there and I'm running like my life depends on it :) For me 130 BPM is ideal, I've found. I never ran with music until this recent stint with the treadmill, now I catch myself wondering if I am going to miss it when I get back outside. I can see it coming in handy once I start true "long runs" of say 18 or 20 miles. I'm asking for a shuffle for my birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melis - I will shoot you an email.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts