Thank God for Yoga Mondays.

Yesterday we decided on a whim to take the kids to the Aquarium down in Camden. As Nate is going to be away a lot the rest of the month it was a nice way to sort of wrap up our family vacation time before he heads back to school this friday. We have gotten SO lazy as a family, sleeping in till almost 9 most mornings. By the time we made this decision and rushed to get everyone dressed and hit breakfast at Penn's table, we didn't hit the road to the Aquarium till 10:30. GF breakfast out isn't too bad, though I confess to missing toast with my omelette. I got an egg white omelette with mushrooms, pepper jack, and sausage with potatoes. We had a great time at the aquarium, though I was sore.as.hell. from my tabata work out and lean conditioning the day before, and my hip was killing me. We got home around 2 and the kids all went down for naps. I had some tomato basil soup and a nap myself. I made dinner for the kids and Nate and I got take out, I had a green curry with chicken and shrimp and basmati rice. I added an entire bhut jolokia pepper to mine ~ I had been sick right after Jeannies boxing day party and I just don't feel like I knocked it out ~ I thought maybe sweating it out might help. It was delicious and maybe helped a little........and wow was it spicy :)

Nate and I wen't to bed right after the kids did, and I was up early to meet Tiffany at the gym at 9. Did some VERY light and easy stairs, didn't even break a sweat for about 12 minutes (really just wanted to catch up) and then got into Adriana's yoga class at 9:30. It was wonderful and truly just what the Dr. ordered. I'm committing myself to going to that class every monday this winter ~ My hip and my mind both need it after the business of the weekend. I felt wonderful afterwards as I caught up with some friends in the cafe.

The work in the basement is LOUD ~ I find myself hiding out up in my room ~ I showered and straightened up some but there is no way I could nap through it ~ I'm grateful Jake has no such issues and is sleeping away. Nate thankfully is able to work in their commercial office so it isn't disrupting his work on the days he isn't traveling.

I've realized that I was really in a workout rut ~ relying WAYYYY too much on the stairs and not adding enough diversity into my routine before Christmas. Part of it was my desire to read ~ I was really on a reading tear, and the stairs are the most efficient machine that allows me to read at the same time ~ but I know where overuse got me before. No more overuse injuries! So, I'm going to limit my stairs. Yoga mondays, dance tues and thursday. I need to refind the lean conditioning classes I loved and lost when the schedule changed in Sept and get back into them.....and much as I don't love it I need to add a regular spin or two to my week. That would give me the cardio I need AND be super hip healthy. I took swimming out for the winter ~ I just don't have the heart to get into the pool in these cold and dark winter months, but it will re-enter my life come spring. So, thats where I am. I'm very much grateful for the dark days and enjoying the change to regroup, refresh, and refocus. There is so much to look forward to this spring, but for now there is a lot to think about. I feel like once school is done there is going to be a time of quiet enjoyment ~ a time to remember what it is to be a whole family unit.......and then, eventually, there is going to be time for me to do something, should I so choose. What that is is going to be up to me ~ school? Yoga teacher training? Something else? But now is the time to hunker down and think about it. Now is the time of reflection and enjoyment of inaction, and there is something fun about this time.

Comments

  1. I can SO see you as a yoga instructor. You'd be amazing. I'm glad you're mixing it up a bit.

    How does your hip feel? I know you had issues with being boney and feeling the metal in your bones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It still hurts, Jordan. More than I can believe after just shy of 7 months. I still limp when I get tired, if I haven't worked out, or if something weird is going on (like after a long car ride, or something). I still was occasionally taking Tramadol even as recently as about a month ago, and part of me really badly wants to refill my RX, kind of pain. It sucks. The pain isn't actually in my hip, its just south of my incision, which is on my thigh......its where the screw sits on my femur, which I know is a lovely image ;/. Thanks for asking, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm throwing a vote to yoga instructor as well. :)

    Sorry to hear about the continued pain in your hip. Chronic pain can be so disruptive to life. Can I say how amazed I am by where you are at though? I don't know what recovery from an injury like yours typically looks like, but a tabata workout like you did would kick the ass of never-been-injured fit people. I wish you were able to do all that without the level of pain you are experiencing. But I am still happy you are able to keep kicking ass and taking names.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts