DaY 4, WHOLE30

It was an amazing Sunday. My off day from working out, we had golf scheduled at 11:15 at GLen Mills with Kinka and Julio. The weather was totally unseasonable, breezy and no humidity to be found. I don't know if it even hit 80! I got the kids through breakfast (I was in a hurry, I ate about 1/2 a honeydew with some raisins on top and fresh coconut, not a very good whole30 breakfast I don't think) and headed out to the grocery store. I got a new car last week, and was driving with the windows down and singing away to my music when I realized it was COLD! My car read 65 degrees! That is just insane for an August morning in PA. Food shopping is funny while doing Whole30. It takes longer, as I can't just reach for all of the things I normally do. Its also opened my eyes to a few things. While I usually make or buy fresh salsa, there is this one brand of salsa that I like to keep around to add to guac as its really hot and just the right consistency to make my homemade guacamole creamy. Checking the ingredients I saw it had added sugar. There goes that one.

I also added things to my cart that though we eat, certainly are not staples that I keep in the home. Sardines. Crabmeat. Smoked salmon. All things that I can easily reach for to make a salad a meal, or to spice up an egg white omelette into a healthy meal. Tons of sweet potatoes. In fact, its 6:15 am and I have more spears roasting right now, its just essential to me to have something like that on hand, and they mix so easily into so many different meals.

Anyway. I came home from the grocery store and hurridly put my purchases away as I made a tarragon chicken sausage and swiss chard saute. I washed all of the fruit, cut up the strawberries, etc to get it ready to eat for the week. I brought a tupperware of my lunch with me as we would be on the course from 11-3 and I knew that they wouldn't have anything Whole30 compliant that I could order at the turn. I also packed a bag of cherries. I ate my lunch as we went, so it was more of a grazing meal than a true lunch, but it WAS delicious. We had a fabulous round of golf, it was my first time playing with my new clubs and I felt great.

I got home and immediately started racing around as my inlaws were coming for dinner and to spend the night. Julia and I made a delicious peach and blueberry crumble, and I dry rubbed rib eyes. I made a giant salad with mixed baby greens, bell pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, scallions, and a homemade peach lemon viniagrette. I plated the salads and then added blue cheese and croutons to everyone elses. I grilled a loaf of semolina after rubbing it with a rosemary olive oil and sea salt and cracked pepper. I served the steaks right on top of the salads and it was delicious. No one even noticed that my plate was just that slightly different from theirs. There are no photos as taking pictures of your food IS sort of weird :). For dessert I chunked up most of a banana, and put chia seeds, raisins, and some sunflower butter on it. This way I sat at the table and ate with everyone else as they tucked in to their crumble. I swear, no one even noticed that I was eating something different and I was at the table with my family! I don't think that making "dessert substitutes" is technically Whole30 kosher, but I don't care. Its more important to me to take part in the ritual of the entire meal than it is to be a perfect Whole30 person.

Monday my inlaws are taking the bigs up to Stroudsburg until Thursday. I will go up at lunchtime and pick them up and bring them home. I'm looking forward to the time with Jake and to getting some organizational projects done around the house. With a high of 79 today (Monday), I'm also hoping to get in a run outside! I'm selfishly hoping that my inlaws leave my 9:30 so that I can go to the 75 minute vinyasa flow class. Nate and I are in a pickle as he started playing early am basketball at the EXACT time as I decided to go to this teacher training....and I'm trying to get back in good yoga form before it starts, so I want to go to 6 am Yoga on MWF. He always gets priority, as of course he works and I don't so I let him decide. I set my alarm for 5 anyway and ask him "are you sure you want to play" in selfish hopes that he says  no :) So selfish. Anyway, he is off at basketball and I'm going to go down the basement and do some yoga on my own. My back hurts this morning, probably the result of the tweaks in my swing that my golf teacher is getting me to work on.

Day 5 here I come!

Comments

Popular Posts