Updating.

So Sunday was strange! I think that I said that when I left the Y on that Thursday it was rather odd. The whole "Having to make sure that its okay that you aren't certified until March" bit. Anyway ~ I was told that on Sunday I was going to be teaching the 75 minute Vinyasa Flow class along with this woman who I interviewed with, lets call her J.

I get there at 7:45. I've prepared an entire class, not having ANY IDEA what exactly teaching together meant. I was given the key and opened the door to the mind/body room (that was strange). Didn't know how to turn on the lights, but there I was. People swiftly started coming in. I was introducing myself, someone told me it was their first time (EVER) at yoga.....and J was nowhere in sight. I'm thinking.....okay. I had brought music so I started checking out the music set up thinking maybe this lady seriously isn't coming.

At ONE MINUTE TO EIGHT she comes in. No talking to me about what our plan was, nothing. I'm standing there all awkward turtle.....and she tells the class to lie down on their backs, then tells them that we would be starting in an inversion this week (!?!??!?). Meanwhile she introduces herself and me and says that we will be teaching together today. She then takes them into supine pigeon pose. I'm completely confused. Then she has them rolling about side to side and says to me "Will you lead them through a series of Sun A and B?". oooooook.

So, I did it like I would. Tabletop, some cat/cows, a twist, a balance, then up to down dog. Anyway....I got them up. I worked slowly through my first SSA just like I planned, assessing. There were 26 people in the class, and I had NO IDEA what the term "vinyasa flow" meant here. They did offer power vinyasa flow, so I assumed that this was a more gentle style of traditional "power yoga". I ran through three SSA and three SSB, then an overhead side bend at the top of their mat, into more vinyasas with more complicated series, Warrior 1 into 2 into revolved triangle into triangle etc.....

There were 4 men in distinctly over their head. Like, dangerous. So I slowed things down a bit. At one point she mouthed to me (they really want to move, get them moving faster....)...so I did even though I felt it was wrong to do so.

She took back over and taught a true POWER vinyasa flow class. Crow (no modifications) and HEADSTANDS OFFERED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM, never mentioning a wall. I saw two people fall out of them, and one of the dangerous men fell on his face in crow. I kid you not. I also saw her make a man actually YELP when she was doing vigorous back rubs after locust pose, he had his eyes closed and didn't hear her approaching, and he YELPED when she began massaging his back. She said "oh did I hurt you?" and he said "No, I was just startled, I didn't know you were going to do that".

I was totally befuddled. It all went against EVERYTHING that Sue has taught me. No modifications. No options. No reminders that yoga is not a competition. No respectful assists or touching. No WATCHING her students or connecting with them.

Anyway. Afterwards I was all: so. That was interesting. And she was all "Yeah this class really likes to move" and I was all "Hm. Yes, I probably should have watched you move them through some vinyasas before I took over so that I had an idea of your rhythm.....stepping in with absolutely no knowledge of the class put me in a position where I really had to take my cues from my students.....so that is what I did. Those guys in the front were being dangerous to themselves and others so I scaled it back slightly ~ those who can take it further always do anyway". She said that was a good point and she should have done it that way. She went on to tell me about other classes I could come watch to get an idea of the different "Flavors" of classes at the Y.

At this point I was just befuddled. And a little bit pissed. I'm now two hours into being here (unpaid), I had woken up at 6 to practice, and I was late to yoga school. AND I STILL DIDNT KNOW WHAT THE HELL WAS GOING ON. So I just was blunt and said that I was confused and didn't understand exactly what was going on ~ did she want me to be a yoga teacher here? She then said "are you sure you can commit to the Monday afternoon and Sunday morning classes?" and I said Yes (thinking I told you that Thursday you weirdo?!?!?!). She went on to say that it costs them $300 to hire someone and it has frequently happened that they go through the process only to find that the person then says "oh I can't do that class but I can do xyz". Are that many yoga people seriously that flaky? I don't believe it.

Anyway. I said that I had to get going, jumped in the car, and immediately called Nate. It was the morning of our 8th anniversary :). I was happy. I was proud. I truly was proud of how I did. I was thrown into the most awkward and unpleasant of situations, and I ~ given the circumstances ~ and totally proud of my performance. I loved it. As soon as I started teaching I didn't feel nervous. I felt in charge, I felt like I was able to watch my students, to modify my cues, to give them options. I felt like I remembered every single thing that I had planned ~ the only thing that was a little off was the pacing ~ which I realized was because she was a "inhale the right leg up, exhale and sweep the right leg through" person. I wasn't cueing that way and I think that it set everyone a little off. Knowing that, I can easily cue that way as one class I attend is practiced that way.

I got to class and it was the second SUPER long day of Ashtanga yoga in a row. Man, Ashtanga is so not for me. While I find it a beautiful practice I simply could not practice the same way, every day. And the rigor of the poses would make me struggle (sadly, I mean with my ego, not the poses)~ due to my hip pinning I will never, ever sit in full lotus. SO MANY of the poses require full lotus. Anyway, AShtanga ~ lovely, not for me.

Moving on......I just put the whole thing out of my mind as we have bigger worries ~ we are supposed to fly to florida on Thursday....the same day Chester County is supposed to get a FOOT of SNOW. This is a week after the horrible ice storm we weathered. Some people still don't have power. So we are a bit on edge ~ we have explored every possibility, tried to get out early out of 6 different airports....and it just wasn't happening. So, we will see what happens. I'm packing as though we are going, at the moment.

Today, however.......all three of the people who I listed as references were called by the Y. Given that they were my mentor, my best friend and my husband (they wanted one family reference) I know that part went well. So?????? So I guess they actually are moving forward with hiring me? The whole situation is a little weird, but we will see! My first "real" teaching experience was super weird and awkward....but also completely awesome and I loved it. Here's to less weird awkward and more completely awesome.

If anyone could send out some "get out of Philly on THURSDAY' juju my way I would be grateful.

Namaste.

Comments

  1. oy! well done, mama! sounds like you have been taught well and you did an amazing job thrown into a wacky situation! I had some serious curveballs in my first months of teaching and I'm glad for them - as you see already, it helps with your confidence a good deal! and I'm firmly in the safety first camp...as you say those who can take it further safely always will & can. I'd rather have people feel like they could have done more than get hurt. Which is not to say I never push or challenge, but like you said, really watching them and seeing when people are in over their heads (and not in the good inversion way, lol). kudos! proud of you! get out of Philly Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is super odd. Love that you stood up for taking cues from the students and protecting their safety rather than just powering through because the class "likes to move." Weird. I'm glad the experience was still awesome for you and I'm sure things will be much better when you can teach the class by yourself in your own style.

    Sending you lots of safe travel juju!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts