Orange you glad I didn't say Banana?

Because today felt slightly like a bad knock knock joke.

The kids got to camp (nightmare not equipped for the handicapped, ESPECIALLY the handicapped and stroller bearing with two other kids). They got home. I fed em lunch. They all napped. I dealt with two huge household finance jobs I had to take care of. I drove for the first time. I bought Luke new pajamas. I food shopped (and got teary when I had to admit that I needed help loading my car.). I got Luke to the pediatrician (swimmers ear). I dealt with rush hour traffic. I talked to friends on the phone. I got all of the groceries put away. I arranged for the car to get serviced (this is not easy when you have three carseats/kids to deal with and no husband to help). I set up a time to view our family photos with my sister. I packed the bags, woke up the kids from naps, got them into their suits, and dropped 2/3rds of them off at the pool with the nanny. I picked them up a few hours later. I served the dinner a friend made. The nanny bathed the kids while I cleaned up, chopped up and washed all the fruit and put all the food away and laid out all of tomorrows (also annoyingly color coded, tomorrow is  blue day) camp outfits. I read the kids a long book and put them all to bed after the sitter left (I only had her from 3-7 today). I called the Ortho for a handicapped parking pass, after wanting to beat people over the head with my crutch having to park a block away from camp today. It almost killed me, but the damn fact is that with three kids and crutches, I'm handicapped at the moment.  And then I got in the shower tonight after my three clean, sweet wonderful kids were in bed, and I used the most delicious pineapple coconut oil scrub, and I got out of the shower and used my favorite coconut oil, and put argan oil in my hair, and climbed into bed, and just started to laugh. Because this is life with HELP!!!. Nate is still working away downstairs. He leaves tomorrow, for the rest of the week, and weekend, for school. And this is life where I am RESTING! Oh SHIT!  I'm considering going back on painkillers just to reinstitute that twice a day nap I was so enjoying. Seriously.

But I know that this is just part of reentry. Right? I need to find a great quote about resting. Or get hit over the head. Or take up the two martini lunch, perhaps. Because sometimes it feels like its just easier to push through one really hard, really long day, in order to set the rest of the week up right. And I need the week to go right.

Anyway. Two raves, today. Oils. I am obsessed with oils. In my body, on my body, on my nails, on my hair.......everywhere. I've had a love affair with a local Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar store for some time now, but this GF thing has taken it to an obsessive level. I've almost stopped using spices, let alone any pre-made marinades or sauces, in lieu of different oils, vinegars, and fresh herbs from my garden, with maybe a lemon or lime thrown in. I feel like my palate is clean in a new way. Sunday night I made a double batch of quinoa (something I've taken to doing most Sunday's, as it is so versatile, holds up well,  and I eat it most days in one way or another as part of lunch), and as we were low on food from vacation I threw in a can of kidney beans, a can of black beans, some leftover cooked corn I cut off the cob from the night before, fresh tomatoes and cilantro from the garden, two avocados, sea salt, and drizzled this ancho honey serrano chili olive oil over the entire thing. It was sick good. Like, scooping it up with your fingers kind of eat it for three days good. Tonight a friend brought a GF baked ziti along with a salad that had chopped up apples, blue cheese, and walnuts. I used a new walnut oil paired with a red apple balsamic and the results were amazing. I've also been making this with Grapeseed oil and can't get enough of it, although I don't use that brand name balsamic, and instead use a champagne balsamic I get locally. I'm also drizzling the overwhelming amount of zucchini our garden is yielding with olive oil, salt, and a balsamic creme, grilling it,  and eating it like candy.

I was thinking about all this this afternoon as I had the quinoa salad round deux, followed up by summer fruit, and I got this mini panic thinking about GH eating come winter. All of a sudden it seemed like it might suck. And then I remembered squashes and pumpkins and apples and sage and....well. It might only suck a little more? All in all I have to say that this whole transition has been wonderful for me. For Nate? Not quite as much. He struggles a bit more, especially when traveling. Occasionally it can be hard as we do still have a lot of non GF things in the house as the kids don't eat that way.  All of our dinners are GF, as I only make one dinner. And this morning, for instance, I made oatmeal, and as I only make one breakfast, of course it was GF. Yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, cheese, fruit, all GF, and those are our breakfast foods. Lunches are harder, as most every day the kids eat either some sort of sandwich, or wrap. Most of our pool snacks for the kids are not GF, so we definitely have plenty of non GF items in the house. Ice cream? GF! :)

Anybody else have any culinary or beauty oil obsessions lately?

I don't know. I'm totally rambling. I have nothing of note to say, other than it was a really fucking hard day, and that I'm one day closer to being better, so that's great. One day closer. And admitting that I need a handicapped sticker is simply a fact of driving. The past few weeks I have had a driver to drop me off at ever entrance. Having to actually park myself has shown me, clearly, that at the moment, and surely not for long, I'm a bit handicapped.

Pride, swallowed.

*ETA. I need to issue an official internet apology to my kids camp/school. After being stressed all morning and intentionally getting there 15 minutes early ~ I found the elevator. Of COURSE there was an elevator. The worst part? I've walked past it for the past 3 years, because I haven't needed it, either wearing my baby or my running clothes. Interesting how blind we are to the things we don't need, until we very much need them.

Comments

  1. I was going to give you a ring today, but I thought it might be a crazy one for you:) Asking for help is hard, but you'll be back to normal soon. Remember when you thought you would be on crutches full time for 3 months? Look how far you have come in just a few weeks!!! Found this from good old Ben Franklin: "He that can take rest is greater than he that can take cities."

    I don't have a culinary obsession...but my culinary accomplishment is getting the kids fed, all at the same time, without me shedding any tears. Most days this is a big deal--Ha! And I feel so dirty when my skin and hair are oily--weird, I know. But your meals sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello lovie. GF eating + travel is rough b/c you have to think more. I think fall/winter GF eating is just fine. You've got your buddy quinoa and there are lots of soups/stews that you can make. You could also branch out into buckwheat, amaranth, millet, brown rice. All of those things are interesting in fun. I'm your gal if you want to brainstorm ideas.

    In terms of products, I love this line: http://www.annmariegianni.com/. Their coconut body/face oil is the bomb as is the face wash. I'm obsessed with oils. I have been using a scrub in the shower and then using coconut oil and then just rinsing it off with water. It makes your skin feel amazing, but it does make the shower a tad slippery, so might not be the best thing for you right now.

    Hope today is a bit easier. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That day sounds hectic even without the bum hip! I know how hard it is to ask for help or even let people help you when you are used to doing everything yourself. I always try to switch roles in my head and remember how I enjoy helping others, so hopefully they don't mind lending me a hand once in awhile. Glad you are getting a handicap sticker. Too many people abuse them (in my area at least) and it would be a shame to see someone not use one who needs it.

    Your meals sound delish. Winter eating always is heavier comfort foods to me...soups, pasta, etc. I am not GF, but actually think some of the GF pasta is pretty tasty so those dishes would be easy to adapt. Between that and finding a good pizza crust that you love, I bet your meals wouldn't need to change much at all since you eat so many fresh veggies, meat, fish and healthy grains already. I can imagine that eating out could get tricky. I very picky about eating meat (and mostly don't eat it) and even getting a vegetarian meal is a pain at times.

    Can I ask a question about all the oils (non culinary ones)? Do you have dry skin? Mine is more normal to oily. It's always in really good balance without a lot of messing around, so it makes me nervous to use oil (or even lotions, etc) as I am afraid it would make me break out. I think I need to get over that. It is probably a wives tale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda that line looks amazing. We started with Brown and basmati and jasmine rice, branched out into black and wild rices, (I'm still really smarting over the israeli couscous deal, it was a favorite, I just gave away a big stash to my Mom :)) I used to do amaranth in the hippie days but will have to get back into it. I have some millet but have yet to make it, do you use it for breakfast, or other meals too????

    Karly ~ my skin and hair are pretty average, I think, though my hair is (or was, I'm going through a mad shed akin to post pregnancy as a result of the surgery/weightloss and it is mad annoying) very thick and back in high school and whenever it's been very long I let it to go a week without washing ~ i read back then that it was good for it, ever since then it just doesn't need it. Of course with running I would shower every day, but even then a lot of days I would just give my hair a good rinsing as I don't like to wash it that often. With not working out or swimming now a days I'm back to only washing it every 4 or 5 days or so. Its gotten longer again, and I only use the argan oil from about my chin down on my hair. I try not to blow it dry and usually wash it at night and let it just air dry. In the winter my skin gets really dry from the artificial heat, and in summer my skin can get dry from the pool/beach ~ so I do love the scrub/oil routine that Amanda mentioned. My face I use coconut oil to remove makeup when I wear it (once a week or so?) and will then use a tea tree oil based toner wipe thing to balance it out. My daily moisturizer is more of a sunscreen need than an actual moisturizer need, I don't put anything on it at night.

    The pastas are okay ~ they work, but I admit that for an Italian girl like me I have yet to find any that REALLY do that trick in like an MmMMMM I can't wait to make homemade meatballs and gravy sort of way. Its more like the pizza, like, we order it on friday night because its a way to keep a routine intact....but if I'm honest with myself its something that if not for Nate, I would probably just phase out of my diet because its almost like a reminder of what I can't have rather than a true replacement, you know? Although I suppose it is very helpful in keeping family meals intact, and that is important to me. Julia is a bit nose snubby at GF pasta thusfar, little bugger.

    Meg, I love that quote! And I agree with you, I don't like to feel oily either, its all about your skin or hair getting used to it, I think, or finding ways to rinse or buffer it (like with tea tree oil) or whatever. :) And AMEN to just getting food in everyones body!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am one of those people that doesn't wash my hair with traditional shampoo. I use conditioner like a shampoo a few times a week, but I try to limit it. Even with running, I find myself just giving it a quick rinse. I don't wash Rachel's hair either - just a conditioner wash once a week.

    With summer finally here, I am obsessed with coconut oil for my hair and body. A little on the ends of my hair on days I rinse. It is a good all over moisturizer, too. It doesn't have a super strong smell, which I appreciate, but it is enough to scream SUMMER.

    (Wow, that's a lot of comments from me today! I am clearly in the post vacation catch up!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts