Into the water I go.



 I'm on top of the world when I tell you that I conquered my fear and got in the pool- finally! Yesterday I strapped on my onepiece, shoved my wild and uncooperative hair up under the cap, and squeezed my eyes into some goggles. I had gotten in 20 laps ( with a pull buoy between my legs to keep my hip immobile. The pull buoy is a must, when I try to kick, it hurts. Immobility at the hip is critical) I was whistled out of the pool at that point due to lightening and I couldn't believe how disappointed I felt! Today, when my girlfriend said she had to meet us just a little later than planned, I realized that if I went just a little earlier than planned I could get a swim in! Sooo, today I got a full 60 laps in before I had to meet my friend! It felt so amazing to do something so good for me , so free of pain, to be moving somewhere quickly, and to enjoy the same rhythmic pace that running offered me I have definitely found something that is going to work for me while I can't run. I'm thrilled.  The water is free of distraction, free of music, of TV's to look at, of other poeple to watch. It's just you, your body, and your breath, over and over, back and fourth. I look it up last night and realized I was just 4 short laps shy of a mile. This zero impact stuff is pretty fantastic!!! Im a swimmer!

Comments

  1. Boo to the lack of internet! It's amazing how much you miss it just for regular things like paying a bill or whatever (which I can do from my phone, but it's easier on the laptop).

    Jealous of your swimming prowess and so glad you have a new, enjoyable activity while you are rehabbing (and beyond). My good friend was a swimmer at Penn State and it's a skill I hope to (marginally, of course!) acquire one day when I have more time to get to the gym. Such a great full-body workout and a welcome break from the impact of other activities. Swim on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be able to email the picture to your blog then go into that post and add what you want to say and then publish. I do it all the time.

    Congrats on the swim that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know I love to swim! It's just so peaceful. Good job! If you hate counting laps, I purchased a digital clicker thing I wear like a ring and I just click to count laps. They seem to go faster becuase I don't have to think about losing track and I can just use the time to pause and reflect on life. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swimming is such a force! Water is an amazing healer for the body and spirit. I'm so glad you've tapped into it. Thinking of you always. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, where did you get it? I'd love to not be counting as I go!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts