A workout and a vexing question.

I got in a good workout today ~ a full arm workout ~ presses, biceps, flys, rotators, tris, overhead presses, rotator cuff etc etc etc and a nice long set of abs. Didn't need so much as an advil or anything afterwards, but did nap while the kids napped, and after spending the afternoon at the pool (with Nate) and then making dinner, I admit to feeling totally, TOTALLY wiped out by the time I got the kids to bed. And Nate is now insisting that I get help every afternoon this week instead of the two days we had planned, as he is out of town or at school every day but tomorrow. And while I protested at first, and even with the kids in AM camp all week and a dinner being delivered, the prospect of getting all of the foodshopping and errands and what not done, the idea of managing baths and clean up and afternoons together solo scares me a little. I want to pretend that I'm almost back to normal, I want to WISH myself almost back to normal, but even just one crutching it is still pretty exhausting, and even with not taking pain medication I'm still in a fair bit of pain just managing normal life. So. That was a little frustrating.

After my workout I hit the sauna for a little while, as I had a lot of time to kill...Nate had dropped us all off there this morning as I still can't drive and he had to study.....and ran into one of my Kettle bell instructors. The usual "GASP, what happened to YOU" thing.....followed by the story....followed by her telling me to come to her "ripped" class which is a water class offered twice a week (this entire conversation went down with her naked, with her overly lean body and gigantic very gigantic boobs staring me in the face, I should mention).....and then she said. "well, that's why I don't run". And then, the kicker "I guess you won't go back to running, eh?".

And it floored me. I truly didn't know what to say.

It was the first time someone had said it to me, point blank, like that.

And its been bothering me, buzzing around in the back of my head, all afternoon.

I mean, is that what people are secretly thinking? Like, OF COURSE that is the logical conclusion?

Because here I've been looking at all of this as some really really weird case of bad luck and freak thing......but is this in fact a logical case of "Wow, running is bad for you and now you know better?".

Huh.

Also, I'm so curious about some of the daily readers of this blog who I don't know. Irmo, South Carolina, who are you? Flagstaff, AZ, how's it hangin? Raymond, NH, you are here all the time, do I know you? Grand Rapids, MI, you visit daily, are you a runner? Its so fun to see the same people checking in daily, yet so strange to not know who you are or what your interest is. Especially my friend in Germany ~ who are you? :)  Would love to know if you are runners like me, or injured like me, or Mothers like me, or what. Feel free to introduce yourself anytime!

Comments

  1. Huh, interesting question. I guess I also just assumed you would run again if you wanted to do so. You can find people who are continually injured in any activity, so it didn't really occur to me that running is any different. I know it gets a bad rep from some, but I think some of that is just the fact that people have been doing it so long...opinions change as research change. I was watching a movie about the NY Marathon the other day and how it was all men in the earliest days because they thought women couldn't/shouldn't be running long distances. Seems silly in retrospect and I guess I think some of the lingering biased against running is based on older research/beliefs as well. Sure, it's a sport that puts a lot of pressure on your bones and joints and there is a higher rate of injury than say using the elliptical, but there can also be higher health benefits. I don't know. I guess I will take my chances and try to be smart (cross train, limit number of races and intensity, etc). Hopefully I will still be slugging along in my golden years. But I can totally understand how a intense injury (no matter how seemingly random) might make you reevaluate things. Here's to coming up with an answer that makes sense to you and congrats on the great workout. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there. In case you hadn't already figured it, this is Becky, from the debate board. I'm intrigued with your running journey because I just started running last year, but I definitely do not love it like you do. You had your blog addy posted for a little while on the board, so I checked it out.

    Glad to hear things are moving along for you. I don't think you have to feel like it's a setback to have help again this week. I have two littles and think it would be plenty hard just keeping up with them, let alone three, after what you've gone through. Baby steps and all.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Nate has the wise. I *know* how much you want things back to normal. But if you have a setback from doing too much, you might just go off the deep end!

    I too, likeKarly, Just assumed you would go back to running!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey love. Given everything you've previously said, I assumed that you'd run again. You know your body, so I trust that you'll figure out what works/doesn't work for it. Take the help, honey. ALWAYS TAKE THE HELP. Smooch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh, am I Raymond, NH? I'm not a stalker, I promise...Everytime I login to the internet, I have Facebook and the blogs that I follow (about 10 or so)load in separate tabs. I don't read them, or check them everytime, and I never thought about the fact that loading the pages left trackbacks or footprints...Hmm, maybe I should change my settings??

    I forget how I stumbled on your blog, but I find your writing and way of life to be so inspirational (the reason I follow). I am a Mom of 2 daughters (under age 5)and grew up in a household void of exercise or nutrition education, and in 2004 I weighed in at 230 pounds. Enough was enough, and as of today I have lost 105 pounds (plus another 55 to pregnancy) and kept it off for over a year. I thrive on making healthy choices, learning about nutrition (which I LOVE about your blog and how you emphasize making healthy choices). A year ago, I started running and am so addicted to it and absolutely thrive on it. Another connection I feel with your blog is how you juggle being a Mom and finding time to run alone, but making it a priority.

    Earlier this year, I did a sub-30 (28:28) 5K...and my immediate plans for races are a 10k at Thanksgiving time, and a Half Marathon by next September. Right now, I am taking a 7 week break to recover from surgery (elective) and I can't WAIT to get back to running.

    Please keep posting...your style of writing is vibrant and I find your posts to be so transparent and real. So thank you! (And sorry I never introduced myself!) =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Hey Raymond NH! THank you so much for introducing yourself! And HIYA Becky! I used to see you pop in when you were at work, but then I read about the B'more teachers hitting the lotto and missed you on the debate board and wondered if you hit it big :)

    THanks so much for the kind words, NH, and congrats both on the sub 30 5K AND on the awesome goals! Mad props on the weight loss too, that is absolutely inspirational.

    I wouldn't worry about leaving footprints, I happen to have a sitetracker just because I want to make sure that there aren't any weirdos out there, so that if they DO become a problem, I can take my blog private like I did with my blog about our family life when I had someone weird sniffing around it. It doesn't show me personal info about you, just interesting info, like which pages people view, what photos they lookat, or what links bring them to my blog (sadly the greatest google search item random hit generator to my blog is people seeking "thinspiration" which is unintentional and odd, if you remember that that post is a rant against the entire concept). Like, for instance, how my Grand Rapids friend visited 3 or 4 times today and is now reading the comments each time, yet still not posting. Interesting information like that, which when you are a normal poster like you, has no negative implications, you know?

    Anyway, official welcome to anyone reading, whatever your intentions :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melissa, I wouldn't think not running is the answer. I think that it was a freak thing that happened. Kind of odd that she would assume that... You know what they say about people who AssUME lol love ya! And I love reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, Melissa. I WISH! No, something happened with my computer at work when the site made their big change and I didn't know how to change some setting so was never able to log in at work again. So, I would wait until I was home and then was usually WAY too busy to post. Then, I got to wondering why it was I felt the need to argue with a bunch of random strangers, and instead started reading some blogs of a bunch of random strangers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was told to never run for fitness (or do squats or do anything else that might help me have strong legs to support my knees) after my two knee surgeries in a row. But guess what? I run. I don't run marathons, and I don't know if I ever will. I do have to be careful. I have to listen to my body and if my knee hurts, I rest. But frankly, between using the Couch to 5K program, which eased me into running, and losing some of the weight, I haven't had achy knees if I keep it to 6 miles or less. (And I suspect that if I find a program to ease me into longer mileages, I will be ok as well.)

    So I think you should run, if that's what your body wants. You know your body better than any of us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts