Your one wild and precious life.

 My temporary handicapped parking permit. Wild. Wild, but hard earned and quite helpful, at the moment. 
 Summer bounty. This morning at 8 am my kitchen smelled like my version of heaven as tomatoes, basil, oregano, rosemary parsley and two heads of garlic roasted. I love my garden, and my increased mobility has me reveling in the simple act of decorating my house with herbs and flowers, and of picking and preserving and eating fresh goodness straight from the earth. Amanda, I'm canning again this August, and I will be missing you while I'm at it. 
The kids take in the Turks Head festival Sunday afternoon with Nate. I was at home preparing some Salmon and brown rice and grilled zucchini when I was texted the photo of them enjoying a summer afternoon treat :) Life is short, and treats are meant to be enjoyed.

It is a sweltering 100 degree day here in the northeast. I woke up this morning and instantly took inventory ~ what was the damage from yesterdays yoga class? I was thrilled to find that I felt wonderful ~ some soreness in my hamstrings and back, some tightness through my triceps...but all in all I felt fantastic. So when my friend Regan texted to see if I wanted to join her for this mornings class, I was IN. Another great class (the stares I get crutching into class are epic, I will say that), and I thoroughly enjoyed each of the 75 minutes of todays class.  After so many weeks away from class I can tell you that my practice feels deeper, more appreciated, more wonderful and like more of a luxury than it ever has before in my life. Tomorrow I am going to go to the gym in the afternoon as we have morning park plans, and I'm hitting the pool for the first time. I admit that I'm half intimitidated and half dreading it. I haven't swam laps since I was about 14. I know that it is going to be frustrating for me. I keep reminding myself that running was frustrating and painful and not enjoyable for me when I first started it, and it pretty quickly came to be one of the most enjoyable things in my life........and I am hoping that I can find the same pleasure in swimming if I give it a go. Wish me luck. I think that the very act of putting on the one piece and the cap and the goggles is going to take a little bit of courage......so I'm giving myself pep talks galore today and tonight. At the moment I'm lounging poolside working on operation get rid of tan lines in my cute new strapless tankini (Lord and Taylor is having a fantastic sale, if you need a suit or dress get there, their prices are ridic).

I'm feeling better rapidly this week. I don't know if its mental or physical or what. I don't know if the working out is helping tremendously, or if it is making me FEEL like I'm feeling better, or what, but last week I was feeling like there was NO WAY I was going to be close to being off of crutches by 6 weeks, and this week I feel like I really am getting closet to being there. I walked up the stairs without them last night. I didn't sleep with it next to my bed last night. These are all tiny little things, but they all represent a shift. Thanks for all of the input  on the cane or crutch question. I have decided to crutch it. My friend Melissa dropped off two canes last night, and after giving them a try out, I decided that the crutch was the better option. At the end of the day it is what I now have seven weeks experience with, and despite its ugliness and unwieldyness and its nasty loud habit of crashing to the ground, it is what I am most familiar with.......and regardless of what it looks like or what conclusions people may draw or how often I have to tell the story, the one thing that I DON'T WANT to be remembered for/as is the person who BIT IT at the corporate dinner :). So, thanks.

PS, my cleaning people didn't mess up my internet and TV, lightening did. We are still without it. Sorry, dear cleaning people. Thanks gym. I don't miss the TV at all, but I do miss the internet :)

Comments

  1. Your parking permit means elite status :)

    I can't believe you were cooking at 8 am!

    Two days of yoga in a row is awesome! Getting back to your routine, although it's not full force yet, is probably making you feel really great also! And you will be fine in the pool, you still know how to float, right:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey love, so glad to hear you are on the up and up. Will the cans travel ;)? Xx

      Delete
  2. Can you get one of those purse hook thingies that attach to a table to hang your crutch on? Don't know if that will work or not. Canes are no different with falling all the time, my MIL's cane is ALWAYS falling with a loud Clunk, LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts