Crossfit begins.


Flashback to one year ago today. Missing Hawaii. 

So today I taught at both the Y and Crossfit for the first time!

I have to say, crossfit is so not my thing. I google imaged crossfit to get a picture for the blog, and it is ALL about the bodies. People in sports bras and oiled up bodies and  abs and pregnant people lifting big things and all of this me me me me meeeeeee everywhere.  It exhausts me looking at it, and I love to work out. I google image yoga and I relax.

I think that the power flow class went well today. I had 16, mostly the regulars, one new person. I liked my music, and started them on their backs today, which is unusual for that class as I usually start them in childs pose. I was a little, just, off today. My balance poses were accidentally the same ones I did last week, I cued a laying down dancers badly, and I wrapped up my ending without a spinal twist, and it felt incomplete. Maybe I'm being picky, I just felt a little off. I hate that feeling. Its been a crazy weekend, with Nate not getting in till the middle of the night on friday and then leaving today at 1 for Germany….I was having a hard time finding my zen. Throw in three birthday parties for the kids, the masters, dinner out last night, teaching twice today, the golf thing yesterday, and its just a lot. I feel like my body or my mind has been racing constantly, and I really, really have come to hate that feeling.

I *think* that crossfit went well? There were only 4 people in the class, it was the first week of it and it happens to be the warmest and nicest day of the year, so it just is what it is. I get paid the same no matter how many people are in the class. Only 4 feels very…... intimate, however. We did some really fun twists, (two new one I just came up with, in gate pose legs then thread the needle. Deepen it by bringing arms into crocodile arms…INTENSE in the groin. Another one with legs out in front, feet on the floor, knees bent, drop knees down to the side, walk hands around, replacing one hand with the other, and lower cheek down onto the floor with arms out in crucifix. Great twist).  Anyway. All 4 were happy and chatty afterwards, so I'm hoping that they were legit happy. Getting paid on the spot felt nice too.

Jules and I are laying in my bed, Jake napping, as we excitedly watch the beginning of the Masters. Its going to be a very lazy, relaxed Sunday afternoon around this joint. We are kicking off Spring break here for the middle and small,  Nate is away all week, and I'm supposed to be playing Golf Tuesday and Wednesday and Saturday but the weather is seemingly aligned against me ~ I seriously might get rained out of all of it, which makes me crazy.

I can't even decide who I am rooting for in this Masters. I want three winners. Masters Sunday is truly one of my favorite sporting days of the year. Its beauty, its history, its emotion and grit and tradition. Hopefully I can get this mind of mine to stop racing long enough to truly relax and enjoy it. I have a tendency to overanalyze my classes afterwards ~ generally very critically ~ rather than simply putting them away and letting it be. This teaching business is quite emotional. I really, really want my students to be happy……and I internalize it all way too much. Gah.

Comments

  1. I definitely have those classes where I feel slightly off - like I"m just not quite in the zone or on my A game. It is *more* likely to happen if I haven't prepared enough, or if I have a new student with something going on (e.g., visual impairment or pregnant mama who's new to me), or if it's an open level class where there is a huge range of capacity. so I do my best to prepare as much as possible and have various backup options (e.g. a pocket hip sequence in case I plan for a prone one and suddenly have 3 preggo mamas come!) So I assume you're not being to hard on yourself about it but I totally agree - hate the feeling. Which reminds me I'm subbing an advanced class tomorrow and need to prep!

    It's funny, I went from starting out teaching being accustomed to 1-4 students per class - often just 1! and then going to the Y where it's generally at least 12, and my beginner's class has mushroomed - 43 last week. Yes, the smaller classes definitley have a more intimate, even exposed, vibe to them. But I find I like the opportunity to take a little more time with individuals, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in experiencing that feeling (I mean, not glad as it isn't a great feeling, just glad I guess that you can relate?!?!?!) The problem (or, challenge!) with the Y class is that it is a 75 minute power flow class, with a HUGE range of abilities. The one new person yesterday was very physically limited, so I was giving a ton of options….at the end of class she approached me and was excited to have gotten through it ~ said that exactly a year ago she was in a terrible car accident and had been in bed immobile for 6 MONTHS…was just now starting to work towards regaining flexibility and strength. So I'm watching her, and right in front of her is this super lean total yoga winner type person pushing herself extra hard and its just like ~~~~~~~gah! How do I find that balance! Its very intimidating, trying to find a way to tailor a class that can be modified to work for everyone!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts