Two on the line!

I had my trial class at the Crossfit gym yesterday.

It was interesting! You just never know what you are walking into, I'm learning. I had had a lot on my mind yesterday, so tried to work it out with Janice's vinyasa class (I'm bored to bleeding tears with her class…..its the same blessed thing every single day. Its the only thing that works for me today and I'm literally thinking of skipping it for dance party). Afterwards I tried to work it out with some stairs.

Then I came home for a shower and some lunch before heading out to my 1:15 trial class with the two owners of a local cross fit studio. I got there early, as I knew that I wouldn't have a lot of time on the back end due to having to pick up smalls and middle.

It was just the three of us. I had loosely set up the class in my mind ~ as based on my own 2 cross fit classes I figured that they could use shoulder, hip, and hamstring work. Jeez, did they! It was so cool to see how incredibly strong, but limited (due to tightness) their bodies were. It was awesome as it forced me to completely modify and even totally change some poses to work for them, which was one of those things that you always talk about doing, offer modifications etc…..but when you are really "practice" teaching to a group of fellow students, they don't actually need the modifications. So that was great!

We had a couple of laughs, it was just the three of us after all, so I tried to keep it smooth and relaxing, but also real and down to earth as it was basically a private lesson, so I treated it that way.

After class they seemed really excited about it! They told me that what they had used to pay the other girl was $20/hour (they had had a teacher there who used to teach at night. It didn't work out. I will be teaching Sunday mornings after I teach at the Y. They sent out a member survey and this is what the members want.) and then they would give her like $5 more if 5-10 people came and $10 more if more than 10 people came. I said…..okay. My rate is $XYZ/hour, (its a little more than double that) so you guys just talk to one another and let me know! I didn't think that they would go for it at that price, but I was happy about the entire experience. I felt great and was proud of myself for walking in there, creating the opportunity, and following through. I had to leave, and called Sue on the way home telling her about it. She is the most amazing resource and mentor ever (have I gushed about her enough? No, I haven't). I have been the luckiest woman in the world in terms of finding the right mentors in my careers between Lynne when I was at CitiGroup and now Sue.

Anyway I woke up at 5 this morning to meditate and practice gently and there was my email offer at the rate I asked for!!! I will be accepting today. I also need to send them an "Action Shot" of me????

Help? Does that mean a photo of me doing yoga? I don't have any like that. How do I do that?????? Ugh! I'm not the look at me look at me look at me yoga type. I'll have to ask around. Knowing me it will end up being snapped on my iPhone in my basement by my 6 year old :)

So anyway…..two jobs hooked!

My most important task at this point is to not over commit. I have summer coming up……and kids not in school. I DO NOT WANT TO BECOME that flaky yoga person who is constantly needing subs. I will NOT do that, as its a ticket to failure. I feel like there are going to be lots of opportunities for me to sub at the Y, to pick up classes as they work for me, and between those and my committed classes, I feel like I can really get comfortable in the coming months. The ultimate goal? To get into either ACAC or a studio in the fall. Jake will be in school 4 days a week, 2 days extended day, and L&J both in from 8:30 till 4. I will have tons of time to teach, and I won't feel like such a total newby.

Anyone have suggestions for how to take an "Action" yoga photo where I don't look like some ridiculous preening peacock show off idiot? That just isn't my style :) Unfortunately, it IS a little bit crossfit's style, judging from the websites I'm seeing!


Comments

Popular Posts