THE PRESS UP

IT HAPPENED.

It wasn't a pretty one. It included a bit of grunting, none of that effortless floating effect you see and will eventually happen…..but it happened!!!

I was so naive. About a month ago I got it in my head that I wanted to press up into handstand. Because going up and down in a pike position, testing my self with pausing at different intervals or stopping and going back up several times into handstand in all 7 hand positions has been rote for years now I admit to assuming that it would be…… not hard? hahaaha. You know what they say about assuming? Yeah. Thats me!

 Right? So its just about core strength, I figured. So I tried it. Didn't budge an inch. forgot about it A few weeks back when I was able to go to the inversion class due to a practice rain out I brought it up at the end of class and someone suggested trying it with one foot on a block. Hmmm. That was SO close, but I still had to sort of leap a bit with that one toe. In the inversion workshop this weekend at Namas Day in the Q&A portion I asked the instructor for tips on pressing up. He suggested a strap around my forearms, and using one block with both feet on it, or two blocks, pigeon-toed, and pressing up from a straddle. It was the straddle and strap that got me there yesterday, alone, in my basement. And MAN, is it the most mental feeling! Telling your body to GO, engaging your bandhas, and simply staying right there. Its almost comical!

If its something that you have any interest in trying or trying to learn, here is a good bunch of tips






 I don't love Kino (Not sure why? She tends to grate on my nerves a bit) but this second tutorial is an amazing prep for all things handstand, and her form is just so beautiful and graceful.

Its a little addictive once you start playing with it. I DO recommend the strap, and for a further tool you can even press your head gently into the wall and try that variation when (AND ONLY WHEN, NEVER KICK UP THAT WAY) you are pressing up. I'm not *quite* there as I'm using the props of the strap and the blocks, but yesterday was the first day I felt that shift, felt that weight shift where my shoulders really came past my hands, my shoulder girdle pressed down, and my toes lifted up (with that sexy and hardly graceful or effortless little grunt :)).

Any poses or goals (yoga related or other) that you are working on or towards?

I was supposed to golf today but my meditation time this morning was done in my warmest slippers in front of the fire and to the sound of pouring rain….so it looks like its plan B for me. I wonder what plan B will be?

Comments

  1. Yay for a press up!

    Thanks for those videos! I am going to have to file those away for future use. :)

    In the last few weeks, I seem to have regained some of the flexibility I lost when I hurt my back and went to PT. (I knew it was going to happen since PT was focused on making sure I could support my spine.) It felt so good to be able do some of those poses again! So right now, I am working on exploring what my new flexibility will allow me to do and where I can start guiding myself deeper into poses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!!! I'm so glad you are better and getting back to normal! Aren't those videos good building blocks (other than the fact that they make it all look SO incredibly effortless- which I suppose it does become someday?)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts