DEXA and I meet.

So today I was broken down into a lot of little particles like this. I don't know the results yet, but I'm relieved that the test is over. I had a friend take me, as obviously I can't drive yet. I can tell you that yes, I am anxious about the results. I would like to believe that this was just some freak thing, but here are the risk factors for osteopenia:


  • being female (check)
  • being thin and/or having a small frame (check)
  • getting too little calcium in the diet (I don't know, I eat a lot of calcium)
  • smoking (I spent my fair share of years as a regular, though never super heavy smoker)
  • leading an inactive lifestyle (no, never))
  • a history of anorexia nervosa (check, though brief, it was at a critical bone building time)
  • a family history of osteoporosis (Well, my Mom has osteopenia, she is adopted so we don't know more history)
  • early menopause (nyet, though I think my Mom did?)
So. You see why I have fears. 


At 2:00 I was sitting with Tiffany getting a manicure and pedicure......thinking that 2 weeks ago I was in surgery....when my phone rang and it was the hospital damage control person.......trying to control damage. I don't really want to get into any of it as I'm not pleased or satisfied and as I don't know where this is going to go from here I see no point in putting any information out there that I don't need to at this point. I guess I will let you know what exactly happens after it all shakes out. I guess Nate and I have a lot of decisions to make. I'm anxious for my parents to return home from Europe on Thursday to get their advice, as their opinion means a lot to me and I'm really missing it.

I'm resting now. We had a delicious meal of ribs and salad and rice krispie treats delivered to us, and another meal of enchiladas delivered to our freezer for the beach next week! A friend who is a PT was telling me that a lot of people go through severe weight loss after surgery, she recommended a drink called Orgain? Anyone heard of it? Apparently it is GF and good for weight gain? I need this to stop and I'm having an hard time eating. I'm trying to find something to help it, as more than ever right now, I need as many nutrients crammed into my body as possible as I need this hip to knit itself back together stronger and even better than before. Anyone else have any other recommendations or have you been through something similar? I don't know if it is the surgery/trauma or simply the lack of activity, but I'm just having a really really hard time getting enough food into me, and it isn't for lack of trying. I'm starting to get worried and just feel strange in my own skin. I'm hoping that something can get me back on track, as I don't like the path that I am on and feel very uncomfortable with it all.

Off to try stalking my Dr once more today.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hip surgery is a bretty big deal. The femur is the largest bone in your body and it takes a lot of energy to repair it. Also, when you are out and about you use more energy on crutches than walking. And I bet from not working out, you've lost a bit of muscle mass (that WILL come back).

    Are there some foods that you are just uninteresting to you? Cheese, eggs, yogurt, avocado, bacon, peanut butter are off the top of my head as foods that can help put on weight, but not awfully unhealthy. I think they make gluten free tortilla wraps? What about a tuna fish with greens, cheese, etc. or a wrap with chicken, bacon, greens, dressing, cheese? Maybe a lot of smaller meals instead of 3 big meals? Do you like protein powder in smoothies? I bet if Becca made all the yummy treats from her blog, you'd have no problem maintaining weight:)

    I am sorry you didn't get the response you were hoping from the hospital:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The multiple posts were a product of trying to type with kids around, and a computer that wouldn't let me edit! Sorry!

      Delete
  4. I worry about osteoporosis for myself as I have some of the same risk factors (female, small frame, mom had early menopause as well as osteopenia and now osteoporosis). I am thrilled your scan results were good. Now we just keep on doing what we can to fight against the risk factors. Flukey broken femurs can eff off. ;)

    Honestly, I bet stress has been playing a huge part in the weight loss as well. Having a clean scan and starting to get moving (literally) on your healing will surely help. Otherwise I would try all the healthy fat routes...avocado, olive oil, nuts, etc. Pack them into smoothies if you don't feel like eating. Easier to force yourself to drink and making your own "weight gain" concoction would probably work just as well (unless it's too inconvenient, of course!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karly I think that you nailed it, I think that in the back of my mind I have had this huge overwhelming fear that I am secretly a sick person, and have felt like a sick person, and have had so much internal stress about it that I have been eating like a sick person, if that makes sense. I think that I had this worry that this break was just like the tip of the ice burg, the beginning of my new life as a broken person with bad bones who couldn't exercise, and it was so overwhelming I was secretly a little paralyzed by it. Ugh. I think that this whole suddenly finding myself so vulnerable triggered something inside of me (who prided myself in never being vulnerable, or at least clinging to the illusion of that ;)) and scared the shit out of me. I'm hoping that yesterdays and todays positive news gets me heading in the right direction.

    Meg, those are all great suggestions. Bec has made us a few meals and they have all been delish, and I will tell you the single best thing that she did for us, as its something that I wish that I would do for you given Cal's new work schedule, it is going to be THE new thing I do for friends in need who have lots of kids. She came over one day and made like 50 PBJ's on WW bread. PB on both slices, and jam in the middle, then stacked them all up in my freezer. as the sitters have been here I have been able to just toss three in the cooler for lunch at the pool or the playground. Best.Help.Ever. By lunchtime they are thawed and the PB keeps the jam from getting the bread soggy. Brilliant :) So helpful to not have to be up on my feet making lunches, or expecting the sitter to be doing that AND watching the kids. I'm trying to pass along the idea to all of my friends with kids as it has been so helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts