Don't look if you are the weak stomach sort.

"ere she is.

A swollen, hot. stapled mess of flesh. She throbs. She aches. She cannot be laid upon. She makes me yelp like a beast when my sweet Jake smothers me with a hug and a kiss right.upon.her. Pants or shorts grate on her nerves. They will not be worn again. Any item which directly pokes her makes me punch the item bearer directly in the face. Kidding. Mostly. I'm working hard to find the best way to bandage her, so far to no avail. Tried the total wrap around gauze with tape. Tried the large band aid with tape. None are large enough. Tried gauze with tape on the edges. Doesn't work.  Frustrating.

Today was awesome. Pete and Alexis took Luke and Jules for a sleepover and Carolyn (My wonderful MIL) has been here since Wednesday, so she had Jake. The bigs were thrilled to go to a sleepover at their cousins and Jake was psyched for all of the extra attention and love from Grandma. I slept the majority of the day courtesy of lovely and delicious pharmaceuticals coupled with plain old pain and exhaustion. I polished off about 20 thank you cards and spent about an hour scratching my entire body.  Gross, right? (do painkillers make other people itchy or is it just me? Jebus but I itch) We have SO MUCH food at the house. So much.

I spent the day sleeping.

We spent the night eating and hanging out with Chris and Laura and Sara once Nate was done with school. I am in pain. We are dealing. This is a new life, and we are adjusting. We have one of those giant wall calendars detailing our babysitters. Every day for the next month we have someone here from 8-6, whether Nate  is traveling or not. It was a mad scramble to find people as this first week Brooke was still in school, and next week she is going on vacation in Mexico, so we had to go to the JV squad. Thankfully we found great, capable, and willing help. I can't drive for at least 4 weeks. I am on crutches for 3 months, depending on the healing. The good news on the 4 weeks thing is that that means that we have 3 weeks of full time help to line up, then a week at the beach, where we never use the car anyway, and then if all is going well with my healing, I should be cleared to drive. That will mean no more need for full time help.

I feel terrible that I don't even have a Fathers Day card for Nate. This whole "Fathers Day" sort of snuck up on me this year with being in the hospital and all. If ever there was a year that he deserved praise and accolades, it is this one. He has been our rock this past two weeks, seamlessly juggling supporting our family financially, school, doing the brunt of the work around here while I was dealing with a fracture, dealing with my break/surgery/hospitalization and now figuring out a system of sitters and house cleaners and emotional and friend support which will keep our family functioning and keep our kids and I  happy and allow me the time and space to heal and rest and get well. He is my hero.

Comments

  1. I expected her to be bigger! How long 'til the staples come out? If you are wanting to bandage to keep things from rubbing against her, try a tefla pad (they are non stick, but smooth, not like gauze, and are in the band-aid isle anywhere). You can open them up, like rectangle size, or use 2 or 3 in a row. Then wrap around with the gauze wrap. It's probably a two person job but it might do the trick. Actually, try this. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-ace-self-adhering-bandage/ID=prod6002622-product It's a self adhering bandage, so no need for tape and it will stick to itself as it goes around, so it won't slip off. You will still need something right on top of the staples, and the non-stick pad would be best. And a little benadryl will help with the itching, it's probably from all the pain meds.

    Are you stuck in bed or able to get around a bit?

    You and Nate are SUCH a great team! It will all work out (I know you know that!) It's not always 50-50, sometimes one person has more on their plate than the other, and you'll be carrying that load again soon! And I know, that to Nate, you are HIS hero! And I am sure you still hold your Ninja status for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That link didn't work well. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-ace-self-adhering-bandage/ID=prod6002622-product

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to suggest the same thing as Megan, the self-adhesive bandage. Regarding your husband, sounds like you have a real keeper there. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts