Moving forward.

This is me, holding 35 lbs of baby last week on the very hip that is broken. Brilliant, eh? I am SO frustrated that I didn't get treatment more immediately. Of course I could not have known.......but wondering how much more damage I did to myself in the meantime is going to haunt me a little bit.

Melissa Reed has graciously volunteered to come to my appointment with me tomorrow. As she has her Doctorate in Kinesiology I feel confident that she will both help me understand what I am being told, and help me to know what questions to ask. I spent the morning in the sauna and the whirlpool feeling sorry for myself and crying to every friend who called me or saw me at the gym......I gave myself one day to wallow in self pity, and then I am moving on. I set up a Dr's appointment for next friday as a consultation for my elective surgery.....! If I can't run I may as well take care of some other goals in the meantime! I'm nothing if not efficient. Luke's camp teacher told me this morning that her husband suffered the exact same injury in the Broad St run this year. After just four weeks on crutches he is getting off of them and starting to bear weight on his leg again and moving slowly towards exercise already! That gave me tremendous encouragement, and I hope to get more of the same tomorrow as I get my questions answered and see the actual damage to my hip in my MRI pictures. My Uncle gets back from Vegas tomorrow and I am going to talk to him about getting a second opinion and making sure that I am getting the best care available to me with this current Dr. I don't want to mess around with this.

In the interim I'm considering what to do next. Is it yoga teacher training as I heal? Is it getting in the pool and moving slowly and carefully towards triathlons? Is it a restful summer of reading and more spiritual practices and minding my body's call to slow it down? Suddenly having all of these options available to me is exciting. There is no doubt that there is a marathon in my future, it simply doesn't appear to be this fall. It could certainly be next spring, however! Maybe I run one to celebrate the end of Nate's school! Or run one in an exotic location as part of our Disney cruise with the kids. The options are endless. The kids are healthy. I have a broken hip, but not a broken spirit. I feel again reminded of what a lucky woman I am........and even in the midst of injury feel newly aware of the blessings in my life.

Comments

  1. Wow. Love how you are processing this. Go through each stage mindfully and honestly - with the confidence that you WILL come out the other side of this, with new knowledge and internal strength to add to your renewed physical strength. But it's not just you..., how can WE help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about the injury, but you seem to be coping well. I hope that you have a glorious summer with your fantastic kids and find some peace with the whole thing.

    What about a marathon to celebrate Jake's third year, since his birth is what convinced you that you can do anything, including running a marathon? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts