A W. And a reminder about speaking carefully.


Any putt in competition is a painful putt. Can I tell you how scary they become when they really, really matter? Playing competitive golf has made me so, so much better, but its still so, so scary. Chi Chi has the wise. Chi Chi and Nate actually had a car/golf cart incident about 3 or 4 years ago ~ I think Chi Chi backed his car into Nates golf cart in the D.R, though I could easily have the story backward. Nate can attest to him being all the man that his reputation bears, and more, based upon that incident. 


I won! I won on 14, so it was a bit of a thrashing. I had heard things about my opponent which made me a little….intimidated? heading into todays match. Not that she was unkind, necessarily, just very, very serious. 

  She was serious, but quite nice, although again it provided me insight into the importance of attitude and intention on the golf course (or in life). A comment was made immediately after my win which sounded a little….ungracious? Perhaps inferring that I play a little "too well" for my handicap? I had a moment of feeling pure rage, as golf is a game of integrity, and when someone even for a second questions your handicap they question your integrity. I simply stated that "I've posted almost 30 rounds this year, most of them in competition where my opponent has had to attest to my score, so I'm pretty sure that my handicap is spot on."…………and then hit my drive on 16. She pulled up next to me as I was walking to my ball and apologized, saying that "her words came out wrong"…which I appreciated. Nonetheless, I had one very angry hole and then was over it after I parred 16 (for the first time all season, mad golf and I work well tougher, it appears). I have to give people the benefit of the doubt, just like I hope they extend it to me. It was a good reminder though to be always, always careful with my words, and to always, win or lose, be very conscious of being gracious to the people I know. In any given situation the choice of how I react is mine, and mine alone. 



Moving on. I was done by 12:30 and walked over to the pool, where Brooke had the kids and my Mom was hanging out as a surprise visit. We spent the hot afternoon there, and hit up Rita's on the way home.




I was desperate to get to a yoga class, and a perfect opportunity arose when a friend asked me if I was going to the gym as her kids wanted to see my kids and she was going. Nate ended up taking Luke out to play 9 holes, and the smalls met their friends as I jumped into a 6 PM foundations of yoga class and a 7 pm power class. IT FELT SO GOOD. I felt emotional during shavasana ~ it was such an emotionally draining day, I have a lot on my mind with Thursdays match (and if I win the championship match Sunday, right before Vacation)…….its just a lot. The joy of getting to clear my mind for two full hours and embrace being on my mat as a student filled me with joy. I swear the biggest challenge for me this summer has been balancing all of the teaching I've been doing with parenting, golf, seeing friends (where I feel I'm failing them) and practicing (again, I feel I'm failing).






Tonight, a movie date in the basement with my sweet husband, who is in town all week. I'm very, vey much looking forward to vacation.






I hope that you all win, or lose, gracefully, whatever challenges or competitions you face.

Comments

Popular Posts