We made it. Snuggled in at the beach. And some WTF'ery.

 The big rig loaded down for two weeks of fun. I had various cursing/sweating/frustrating moments this morning as I couldn't figure how to lower down the (loaded) bike rack in order to load up the gigantic cooler filled with food…..couldn't find the keys to the Thule, the cleaning people (who were on faction this week) were supposed to find back ups and the back ups didn't show so I was manically cleaning before my 12:30 gentle yoga class….and was all around just busy. It was a lot solo. I had gotten everyones clothes and odds and ends packed up before my night out at Matador with Jenny and Erin, but there was still a lot to think about last minute. It was a hectic morning. 
 After our first beach dinner of fresh shrimp and crab cakes and corn we segued right into vacation mode with some miniature golf. Jake had his first hole in one on #3 and Luke had one on #18 :) This was torturous as recently as a year or two ago, its actually read fun now. 
Walking home on an incredibly beautiful summer evening. Coming to Cape May is always a homecoming. I've been coming here since I was younger than Luke, every summer of my life. To share the love of this town with my kids is one of my favorite things on Earth. They have big lists of all that they want to accomplish. as do I. My first item starts at 6 am with a beachfront run. I can't wait.

Today I got what was, to me, an annoying email. It was from the Y, asking me what sort of waiver I wanted to have women sign for the prenatal class, if we should cut them off at 38 weeks gestation, and if we should require women coming in post delivery to have a dr.'s note clearing them for exercise 6 weeks after delivery.



Huh?

I replied back asking her if they required pregnant women who participated in spin or body combat or body pump to sign waivers. I practiced yoga and prenatal yoga at 3 different studios through the entirety of three pregnancies (literally taking regular classes with Jake as soon as the night before my water broke)……and never, ever signed a waiver. I have pregnant women NOW in my regular classes there and they don't SIGN anything. I was completely annoyed. To be honest, if thats how its going to go down, I'm not interested in teaching the class. Yoga?!?!?! Its prenatal YOGA not prenatal BOOTCAMP.

Anyone else think that thats crazy? I mean, I'm potentially going to have to give up or at least modify a class where I'm currently being paid 4 times what the Y pays me if I take on this class. I've been very excited about it, simply for the opportunity and the experience…….but this business? Waivers and dr.'s notes and EXCLUDING women from 38 weeks (when they likely need it the most)? I just don't know that I want to take that on.

Any thoughts? Am I being unreasonable?

Comments

  1. My guess is that the Y is trying to cover their butts. However, I don't see the point of it. It is a class designed for pregnant women. Part of yoga is understanding what your body can and cannot do on any given day. I don't see that being any different for a pregnant woman. In fact, I might argue that a pregnant woman is more in tune with her body.

    Have a FANTASTIC vacation! I love that you have a family vacation tradition that is being passed onto your kids. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your vacation sounds like it is (finally) off to a great start! Wish I could run the beach with you. Sounds amazing.

    I took prenatal yoga with K. No waiver required. Also, it wouldn't even have applied since I delivered at 37w5d. Seems super silly to me. Prenatal yoga was so laid back and relaxing. After 38 weeks, I would probably try some kickboxing or zumba if I were looking to evict a baby. My doctor always encouraged exercise though and I never had any restrictions. Luckily those babies didn't just randomly fall out on the gym floor. Whew! (Pregnant moms have always seemed cautious enough to me on their own without extra worries added to the fire.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts