Serendipity

Impermanence is a constant.
“If there’s one thing you could teach your yoga students,” she asked us, “what are you most passionate about sharing?”Everyone else began writing fervently, paragraphs of inspiration emptied into the room for several minutes. I stabbed one line onto my paper:
“You have no idea what happens next.”An addendum to “being present,” the idea that everything can change in a hiccup is by turns exhilarating, and frightening as fuck. Again, when everything is dank with hopeless filth, a sweet text message or large bank deposit sweeps it clean by surprise.
And this is lovely.
But when things are zippered in to the stasis of routine, a slip, a trip of announcement, a sneeze of a change in schedule shakes the structure loose. And this is unsettling.
There’s this weird balance we have to strike then, between finding comfort in the solidity of routine, and embracing its entire dissolution at a moment’s notice. How do you enjoy something without either naively assuming it’ll last forever or not clinging to it, squeezing the life out of it, because you’re afraid it’s about to leave forever? When I manage this well on my own, I’ll let you know.
For now, the best I can do is to flip the script. If it can change in a bad way so quickly, it will do the reverse just as easily. The lovely part always comes back.
- See more at: http://yoganonymous.com/5-of-the-hardest-things-yoga-taught-me/#sthash.6srK6Snx.dpuf

Yes! I stumbled across this today and feel like this was, in a way, what I was seeking last night in my mad rambling. Flip the script. The lovely part always comes back. I like that. Accept that it is unsettling, and move along.

I played an absolutely terrible round of golf today, out of nowhere! I had been shooting lower and lower of late, and my handicap was dropping. Today? Freakshow! Maybe I just had to get it out of my system before my important match, the 4th of July tournament this Friday and the Member/Member in 2 weeks? Yeesh. Kids had an awesome meet, and I'm ready to teach 4 classes tomorrow. Nervous about this kids class! Wrote up a plan tonight and am going to go through it all in my head with a 6 am run tomorrow. Teach at 8:30, 9:30, 5 and 6:15…with a massage at 12:30.

Flip the script!

Namaste. May your every endeavor, even the ones outside your comfort zone, be successful.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: DO NOT PUT SUNBLOCK ON YOUR FACE WHILE OIL PULLING. OKAY? JUST DONT.

Comments

  1. Hey Melissa, do you have any recommendations for a good yoga video that my kiddos and I could do together? Morgan tried to do a video I was doing and got frustrated b/c it was too difficult. Any thoughts/ideas would be great as I am a rookie but attempting to incooperate more yoga into my exercise regiment! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lady!!! So good to hear from you! Do you have Verizon? They have a few decent yoga classes for kids available on demand. They also have a yoga channel that you can subscribe to for a few bucks a month that has a pretty large variety of kids yoga classes. I don't have any videos but we have used those on demand ones several times ~ and if you subscribe to that yoga channel they have a HUGE selection of yoga classes for adults ~ everything from gentle to flow to inversions, and great and famous teachers like Rodney Yee and others. I think that its well worth the few bucks if you find that yoga videos/on tv works for you. Hope everyone is well, can you link me to your blog again? I got a new laptop at Christmas and am still searching for lots of my favorites :) If you are down this way let me know and lets take the kids to my pool together? xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts