Working for the weekend.


If you are on instagram you must follow @laurasykora. She also has a blog @ www.twofitmoms.com that is great and inspiring. A friend recently turned me on to her and I love to see her photos, she is an amazing yogi and Mama! Her photos with her little ones make my day. Ive also found my new favorite yoga pants at kdeerhauteyogawear.com. Aren't they fantastic?

Last night was the first evening of BEAUTIFUL weather at the pool for swim practice. It was a glimpse of the rest of the summer…..and it was heavenly. Its amazing how quickly the kids are getting better and stronger, its great to watch.

Sushi last night was incredible…..and I had a fantastic entree of diver scallops. After having abandoned eating gluten free for a long time both Nate and I are going back to it. Both of our auto immune issues are acting up  ~ and we've committed to doing what our IMT Therapist has ordered. It isn't easy,  but if its going to help we've got to try it. Its especially difficult for him with all of the traveling that he does, but I feel like if we commit to it together and for a set amount of time (6 months to see if there are changes) we can do it. We were able to sit outside on the deck last night and, as always when we are with the Andersons, plans turned to travel. We have been trying to put together a trip to Europe with them for about 6 months now and we are finally honing in on what and when.

The kids and I got a late start today as it is simply too beautiful out and sitting on the deck while they played seemed preferable to rushing out to yoga….so sit and play we did.

I'm heading to the gym for an interval workout ~ 15 minutes of high/low stair intervals (140 work rate/ 70 rest rate for 15 minutes, 1 minute intervals), followed by a tabata circuit ~ kettle bell swings (30 lbs),  burpees, squats with the 50 lbs, mountain climbers,  clean and presses,
jumprope, russian twists, squat jumps, ball thrusts, ….and repeat. Finish with another 15 minutes of stairs and be done. Its all about heart rate, today.

Its a busy day of picture day and baseball, then pool and I'm going to try to get in 9 holes.

A quiet night of grilled Salmon and a red quinoa salad with friends. Teaching bright and early!

Red Quinoa & Cranberry Salad

1        cup red quinoa 
2        cups water
2/3     cup dried, sweetened cranberries
3        green onions, sliced diagonally into 1/4-slices
2        cloves garlic, minced
1/2     cup chopped pecans, toasted
2        tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
2        tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4     cup olive oil
2        tablespoons champagne vinegar
1        tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1        tablespoon honey
1/2     teaspoon salt
1/4     teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Combine quinoa and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Set aside to cool.

Combine cranberries, green onions, garlic, pecans, mint, and parsley in a medium bowl. Stir in quinoa. 

Combine oil and remaining ingredients; stir well. Pour oil mixture over quinoa mixture; stir well. Chill or serve immediately.
       

Comments

  1. Have people been telling you all of your life you look like Lori Loughlin? I wish I had your gorgeous white teeth. Did you have braces? Do you whiten? I love reading your blog, but it makes me feel like a major slacker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, no, I've never heard that! I had to google her, and thank you for the compliment, she's very pretty! There must be something very common about my face shape (same thing with my Mom, who I look like~ we are CONSTANTLY being told that we look just like someone, being mistaken for someone, being told that someone knows our twin etc), its funny. I haven't whitened my teeth, but I did have braces for about 6 months when I was in middle school. Its the family joke that our dentist must have wanted a free ski trip….who has braces for 6 months? I'm glad that you enjoy reading, and hope that I don't make anyone feel like a slacker! Truth is that I really used to struggle with anxiety (particularly post partum) and exercise was the most proven way for me to beat it. Its always been an important part of my life, since childhood, but since having kids its become truly necessary for my stress management. Thanks for commenting and for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love those yoga pants. How fun. That recipe looks delicious. I think I am one of the few people on the planet who doesn't love quinoa. It's okay and I've tried lots of different recipes...it's just not first on my list. But I want to love it because it's so nutritious. I always think Jillian Michaels reminds me of you. You guys are both short firecrackers with strong physiques (and opinions!). I'm not on the Biggest Loser bandwagon, but actually have listened to some of Jillian's podcasts and very much love her perspective on healthy living in general.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts