A new addition.

So, I opted for yes. The sitter was originally coming a bit early before book club last night so that I could get a pedicure, but somehow instead I ended up at X-Treme Ink getting my nose re-pierced.

Why? I'm not 100% sure. 39 year old rebellion maybe? Suburban housewife and golfer gone naughty? Either way and whatever the subconscious motivation, I did it, and I love it. I had a scar there anyway, and now in lieu of a scar there is a tiny fleck of sparkle. And who doesn't like to shine?

I woke up with an achey back ~ I overdid it yesterday in my personal practice. I decided to skip dance party as it was a sub who I don't care for and did 45 minutes of mixed cardio followed by 20 minutes of agility and strength. Tonight I got lucky as Nate got an early flight home and I got to hit up Sue's inversion class for the first time ALL SUMMER~ and it was amazing, as always.

I'm in a bit of a tizzy about this prenatal class. First the waiver debacle. They've agreed with me and are waiving the waiver. Thats good. but now, with how we have moved my crossfit class up, I don't have enough time to teach all three classes on Sunday morning. PLUS, they've asked me to come in and do a training to the other instructors on prenatal yoga on an upcoming Sunday afternoon. The afternoon of the Kirtan I want to go to. An afternoon where I already teach all morning. An afternoon where I would have to do some serious preparation to lead a 45 minute training (unpaid) to then go in and get paid at the $10/hour training pay rate the Y offers. I know that I look at my Y work as mostly community service. BUT. I just don't know that this seems like a fair request. After talking to Sue tonight I'm going to go have a talk with the lead of the mind/body program at the Y tomorrow. I need to either be compensated as a trainer for the prep work etc. or I just don't know that I representing myself as a trainer ~ is appropriate, legally or ethically. I'm not certified to teach the material, and I don't know that I really should be doing so. What do you think? I also can't risk losing a class where I'm being paid $50/hour for one where I'm being paid a tiny fraction of that…..and one that may or may not work out (the prenatal one). So, thats tonights debacle. I love my classes as the Y, I love my students. I don't love the corporate headaches that come with working for a gigantic and ……unusual……sort of situation. Its a common joke amongst anyone, everyone, who teaches there, but it can be frustrating, or not even frustrating, so much as it just drains some of the joy out of the teaching aspect of yoga. I can see how owning a studio could really kill ones passion for teaching yoga ~ the day to day grind of the realities of business ownership, not just the pure fun and love and joy that is sharing the actual practice of yoga with others.

Moving towards a fun weekend……really exploring yoga and body image as I start to contemplate next weeks classes. Starting to get nervous about subbing for Sue and really need to get on putting a 75 minute hyper power class together, complete with soundtrack. Focus.

Comments

  1. 1st and foremost, love the nose bling, I have tossed the idea around myself...maybe when I get to be your age ;-D

    second, I'm with you - no, just no, on the prenatal shenanigans. I think a lot of times folks in the general fitness biz don't quite get how yoga is different. With your personal background as a doula, massage therapist, and then yoga teacher training, I'd feel pretty good about YOU teaching a prenatal yoga class, but that doesn't mean that they should expect you to then conduct a micro-prenatal-yoga-teacher-training. My guess is they have no idea what's actually involved, the depth of experience and knowledge you bring to it. It's also ok for you to not be available that particular day, no matter what your reason.

    I hope that the scheduling of the class can work out and all the other silliness can get smoothed over. I love teaching prenatal classes and the moms love it and appreciate it SO much. I know you would be awesome in this capacity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you're so lovely, M! I love the nose sparkle. It looks great and just feels reflective of your sassy personality. Love. So much.

    I vote for you drawing the line with the Y as well. They really have no motivation to continue to push the situation as far as possible while profiting on your time. I wouldn't risk your other opportunities. Hopefully they value your contribution and you can work something out, but if not, at least the boundaries are set more firmly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the piercing! I feel like I have too big of a nose to want to draw more attention to it, but on you it looks really pretty.

    Also, I'm casting a third vote for drawing the line with the people at the Y. If you're supposed to go out of your way to teach someone else (for no pay!) then, at the very least, you should get to pick the when and where. I would think they would view that as fair... and if they don't then they might not be people you'd want to work with anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls. After talking it over with Nate this morning this was the email that I sent:

    Hi blah and blah ~

    I feel like maybe we need to talk about this more. I'm uneasy about representing myself as someone who is certified to teach other instructors when I am not. Blah, I'm coming into the Y this morning, I will pop by your office and try to catch you!

    Thanks,

    Melissa

    She wasn't there after my workout so I am going to call her this afternoon. Its funny eurefreundin but I've never really loved my nose, so I was afraid about drawing attention to it, but somehow it seems to fit okay :)

    Thats just it Jenn ~ If I WAS a prenatal yoga teacher trainer, it would be easy. I would have the proper materials on hand and could just lay it out as I did it all the time. But to sum up 1200 hours of massage school, 300 hours of Doula training, my experience of practicing yoga through 3 pregnancies/post partum periods, 200 hours of yoga teacher training/prenatal yoga weekend etc……in 45 minutes? I don't want to be the person responsible for green lighting these people as then "qualified". I can't vouch for their qualifications….especially as some of the teachers at the Y aren't even 200HR RYT's but have undergone some weird short basic Y version of a yoga teacher training which isn't even close to acceptable, in my book.

    Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did the right thing, too, both with the nose and drawing the line with the Y. There is a lot to think about when you are training others teach something, particularly something like this.

    (I, too, had a mid-to-late-30s rebellion and pierced my nose at Christmas. I love it.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts