Daughters and Diets.

We've had a great weekend. Friday night I was all dressed up and ready for a dinner out with my sweet husband, when he came home about 20 minutes before we were supposed to leave and told me that the Friday Night 9 and dine had been cancelled and we could go play nine if we wanted. I threw off my dress and heels and was in my golf clothes in 2 minutes, and off we went. The kids had free babysitting at the gym thanks to Kids Fun Night. We got in 12 holes before it was too dark, and ran in and had a quick bite at the bar before having to pick up the kids at 9. It was such an unexpected treat! 

Saturday we had planned to spend the day at a friends house, swimming and eating, but we awoke to a deluge. A lazy and late start with bagel sandwiches then we  headed to the gym. We did a Kettlebell class together that was ridiculous ~ all bells and cardio intervals, we were dying. Julia and I headed out for a Mother/daughter pedicure together while the boys did boy stuff around the house. 

I made up a big caprese salad and a watermelon salad using fresh mint and basil from the garden and we headed over to our friends house. Our friends have been on a serious diet for the past 6 weeks. I think that its called "the Shred" or some such. They also have two daughters, 11 and 8. I wonder a lot about the impact of all of the "diet" talk around young girls.  Personally, I'm anti-diet. We don't talk about weight in our house, My kids have never seen me weigh myself (as I don't), and they only hear me say positive things about my body and their bodies. We talk a lot about being strong, never about being skinny. We talk a lot about healthy food, and never put food into groups like "good" or "Bad". We talk about how moderation is good, how everything is okay as long as you have balance. THESE kind of articles make the link between mothers and daughters very very clear. 

I don't know that we are doing it all perfectly, but I do know that we are doing it consciously. I know that we are showing them that we love our bodies and take care of them, and that we try to provide an active lifestyle as the norm. Healthy meals are all that they know, so there are no battles over food. 

I will say that I found a cool new tool last night. THIS. I admit that I had seen them before but sortov thought that they were for girls with eating disorders because DUH, pasta. But, the meal that our friends made, shrimp and roasted tomatoes and other vegetables over these zucchini noodles was incredibly good. I just ordered one and I can't wait to start cooking with vegetable noodles! Truth is, most GF noodles suck. 

I had two great classes this morning. Crossfit was at an all time high with 12 students, and 21 in my vinyasa class! Vacation season is winding down and back they all come. I'm going to teach the 45 minute class. I've just decided that it will be good for me, personal and professional development and all that jazz :). I am in a bit of a bind here ~ I admit that I sortov thought that the crossift class was floundering and thought that it may be cancelled by now ~ instead its growing…..and now I have this prenatal class starting….and a huge conflict. I need to man up and get on the phone with the crossfit owner and find a solution like a big girl instead of avoiding the problem that I've inadvertently created. 

Did your Mom influence how you felt about your body? Do you try to do things differently with your daughter? 

Comments

  1. Hiya, check out Tolerant gf red lentil (it's only red lentils) pasta. It's delish. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited to go and buy it ~ went directly to Amazon (because, duh, short term memory)..but it is $30! http://www.amazon.com/Tolerant-Foods-Lentil-Rotini-Packages/dp/B00EKTM3WU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409280805&sr=8-1&keywords=tolerant+pasta …….. this is the biggest issue I have with all of it. The three kids eat 1 LB of pasta… I LB. the kids. Before we even eat, thats just what I make for them. So, its just crippling. Its gotten to the point, especially with Nate and I both GF, the GF stuff when I make one family meal, just is crazy costly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, it was $7/box on sale at my store; normally $9, but one box lasts me 4 meals. I forget that it's worse for you bc of the numbers. Giddy up on the spirualizer, I say. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts