Ends and beginnings.




We are in the single digit count down of summer weekdays before school starts. The kids go back to school on Sept 2nd. Before then we have pool days with friends, book club, a big night out downtown, a golf tournament, teaching, and as many unstructured hours outside as possible. There may or may not be a piercing involved. Am I having a pre mid life crisis re-piercing my nose at 39? I can get back to you on that after tonight, as I have an appointment before book club to have it done. Its been a nice week of teaching and practicing. Monday I squeezed in a stair and ball workout in between teaching twice. Tuesday I did the back to back classes with Kristin at night after a long day at the pool. Today was 30 minutes of stairs and my first go at a bodyflow class. It was really nice ~ I'm thinking about starting Tai Chi and this was a nice introduction to the discipline. My hamstrings have felt tight from the stairs, so I've spent time at the pool trying to work on them and my ever tight hips. Nate is in Colorado through tomorrow evening and the kids and I are living easy. 

I am SO excited about the upcoming arrival of Girish! I've been a fan of his forever, his "Shiva Machine" album was heavily played in the 48 hour marathon music rotation during Jakes labor & birth. He is coming to play live during a 90 minute vinyasa flow class on September 12th, and I'm all signed up. I've only practiced once before to live music, and it was at the Jivamukti workshop, and I loved it, so I'm very much looking forward to it. Jyoti is coming, and hopefully some others. He is also leading a kirtan that Sunday afternoon, which I hope to be able to attend!

I don't want these days to end. I'm not ready to transition into school mode. I went shopping this past weekend and picked up some great sweaters and found this Caroline Grace dress topper that I want in every single color and never ever want to take off, leather boots and apple picking and squash soup and all of that ~ but I'm just not looking forward to giving up this luxury of laying here by the pool watching my little fish slip in and out of the water, of reading books all afternoon, of being on our own time, all day every day. Two weeks. We got the kids teacher assignments this week and I'm thrilled. Luke has a great teacher and one of his best buds in his class, and Julia has the teacher Luke had last year, who I loved. I'm so happy. Jake will be going 9-2 4 days a week, so I am going to have more free time than I know what to do with! I'm hoping to pick up a few teaching hours during the weekdays at a studio, though which one and exactly how I'm going to do this remains to be seen. I officially become a "coach" the week of Sept 1st ~ so I guess I better start figuring out how to do that, eh? 

Its been a great summer. I've posted 33 rounds of golf so far, which doesn't even count all of the chapmans/scrambles etc where I couldn't post a score. Thats a lot of golf and I hope that the weather cooperates so that I can play well into November. The kids had a great swim team season. The 2 weeks in Cape May were perfect. I got in more yoga than I hoped considering we did another camp free summer. The kids read like crazy and helped so much in the garden. Sweet Leo joined our family. I got my run on again. We set record for ice cream consumption. Fall promises to bring excitement……Changes for Nate (and us!). Soccer for all 3 kids. Second grade, first grade, Pre K. A new baby for my very best friend. My prenatal class will start. Getting back to Sues classes on the regular. 


We need to be where we are. We need to cultivate mindfulness right here, right now, in this perfect moment, and from this moment, take incremental steps in the direction we are heading. We need to enjoy our lives. We get so addicted to our destination, we forget that the energy of life, the prana of possibility, can be accessed only in the moment. As on the yoga mat, positive life energy will move us forward. As on the yoga mat, the evolutionary force within us will fully contribute to the process of transition. We just forget -- we think we are the masters, the architects of change. We literally block out the healing energy of life that inevitably will take us toward our dharma. And by trying to do it all by ourselves, we often make ourselves miserable.

Its coming! So for today, I'm mindful and enjoying this beautiful afternoon. I hope you are, too. 

Comments

  1. "We need to be where we are." Love this. Thank you for the reminder. The change of seasons and back to school is always hard for me. Fall is my favorite season, but I often struggle with melancholy over the approaching winter. That diminishes some of the fall joy for me. Your words are perfectly timed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too friend, and especially after the trials of last winter! I feel like this has been such an exceptional summer, weather wise, but last winter was SO awful that I just can't fathom that another one is right around the corner. I'm hearing rumors that they are predicting another hard winter with bad weather. I love snow, but all of that ice and the frigid temps really were not fun. I've loved the lazy pace of this summer and I am not eager to have to be back on a busy schedule, lunch making every day etc. Deep breaths, right? xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts