Freedoming.


 The kids were so excited when we came across this spot. Luke asked if he could go swimming. I don't think he could quite believe it when I said "Sure" as we were in the middle of a pretty long hike. But…..how often are you 7 and stumble across a totally magical looking swimming hole with crystal clear water, a water fall and a huge bridge over head ~ so take advantage of it! What a way to end his summer, he stripped down to his underwear, walked in, and then dove under. It was fun to watch him, I wanted to be 7 again.
 He ended up swimming over to the waterfall, climbing up the wet rock face, wanting to dive in (no), then wanting to jump in from the top of the waterfall (yes). It was like watching a puppy play :)
 The hike was the kids favorite to date. I haven't been there since right before I moved to WA state when I was 19……and I forgot how difficult the hiking was! The kids kept yelling "I like this more than Hawk Mountain!" and other trails they have hiked as they scrambled over rocks and around and under and over fallen trees. I'm amazed at Jakes ability (and desire) to keep up at just 4. He loves it! After about 4 hours of hiking we headed into Manayunk. We headed to Winnies le Bus for an early dinner or super late lunch (linner?) enjoying their fresh and locally sourced menu. Nate and I had a date there 10 years ago and haven't been back since, so we were long overdue We weren't sure what to do with the rest of our day, ending up giving in to the kids request to go golfing. Came home to change and headed right out  ~ grabbed two carts and headed to 10. The kids played from the Jr tees and we made our way through the back, ultimately getting in 7 holes before it got too dark.
It was perfect to exhaust ourselves and be in bed relatively early as today is a big day for all of us. Fingers are crossed that the weather holds off for the Riddell cup today ~ golf, dinner and dancing for us, and pool, play and a last hurrah for the pool for the kiddos. I only have to teach at Crossfit today as the Y is closed today and tomorrow as they are doing a whole bunch of work there. I'm very much looking forward to a slow deep yoga class as I'm sore between a quickie at ACAC on Friday at happy hour and yesterdays excursions.

Hiking used to be one of my passions. I've hiked my way around much of WA St, Oregon, and through just about every National Park in the western half of the USA. I lived out of a truck for a while (with my dog, Lefty, and a boyfriend) and was a very dirty hippie free spirited girl in my early 20's.  I look back now and wonder sometimes how passions can become …….forgotten? I just, moved east. That was part of it, you have to really seek out good hikes here way more than I did when living out West. Then, well, having a career that you are passionate about doesn't lend itself to just jumping up and disappearing on a trail for 6 days. Then came kids ~ one of my last really memorable hikes was on Mt. Rainier with Nate on a quickie vacation to my much loved Pac NW when I was about 18 weeks pregnant with Luke. We got back into it when Jake was an infant, wearing him in the Babyhawk and hiking locally. Then, finding hikes where the BOB stroller could accompany us. Now? Everyone on their own two feet? We love it again and are so glad to have rediscovered this passion. Having people to share it with only makes it that much more fun.  We spent much of yesterdays hike talking about where we are willing to move to as we may be moving. Truth is, as I hear these predictions of another terrible winter in the NE corridor, I just die a little inside.

Yes, I have my mat and I can swim laps and I have a lot of indoor outlets. But? No golf except for vacation (and believe me, we are planning these vacations MUCH more carefully after getting completely shut out of last years trip due to weather)? Giant piles of coats and hats and gloves for 5 people? That bone deep chill? I'm just bummed out thinking about it. I don't know that I want to do it, or, at least, not here. If we are doing that, we may as well be somewhere where we have big beautiful mountains to take our breath away. So, we chip away at it. Life is short, you know? And if you have opportunities to be at the helm of decisions, you want to make sure that you have carefully considered them from all angles.

Would you move? Would you flee cold or seek it out? Does the prospect of another hard winter crush your dreams and visions (kidding, mostly.)?

Comments

  1. That hike does look lovely!! Where I live, you have to put in a good amount of effort to drive somewhere to hike too (we're talking at least a couple of hours away before there is anywhere scenic enough and large enough for a good hike). That said, were you guys in WA state or can you find places on the east coast (just have to look harder)?

    As for the cold, I'm right there with you!!! I'm very much a fair weather runner and even though running outside is possible in the cold, I really don't like it. I guess, at this point in my life, I do see us moving somewhere warmer someday (like south FL... the complete and utter opposite of cold), but I guess that seems like the distant future. For now, I will probably continue to dread and hate cold winters and snow but do nothing about it. I'll be curious to hear about your winters there however, I have to wonder if winter in the NE is actually colder than the midwest, or if you just get more snow or if it's just damper (and therefore feels colder). (Or, maybe it's more mild than here?? I'm totally clueless on this subject :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This hike was only about 30 minutes from our house, so not too bad! I'm with you on running in the cold. When are you due again? Our winters can just vary wildly. A few winters back we didnt get any snow. The year I was pregnant with Jake we broke all sorts of snow records getting blizzard after blizzard. Last year was bitterly cold and lots of snow and crazy ice storms which knocked out power for weeks for some people. So, it can be hard to predict what you are going to get. We usually have pretty decent weather through November, then it hits. Its rare to get snow before Thanksgiving, but we had snow ON thanksgiving recently. So? A crapshoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm due on the 20th, so it's coming up quickly! Our winters here can vary quite a bit too... last year we had a bunch of record lows but the snow wasn't too awful (or maybe I can say that since I wasn't shoveling due to being pregnant and my husband taking pity on me!!). This year, I imagine I can get my weight training from carrying baby and no longer being useless in the snow removal department :)

      Also, it must be great to live so close to somewhere so beautiful!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts