On stage at dance party. It was the first time I've been there in roughly forever thanks to swim team, golf, and vacation…….and my beautiful sister is back now that Leo is almost 3 months old….and suddenly Sarah was yelling for "THE SISTERS"…..and before I knew what was happening Bec and I were on stage leading the "Ice, Ice Baby" dance to a room full of raucous women. I couldn't stop laughing, as you can see, because I'm a terrible dancer! Thankfully, now 18 months into my dance party love affair I can at least stay on beat as I know whats going on so its more cardio and muscle memory than natural dance ability (of which I have none)…..but it was so much fun, and great to be up there with my Sister who I love :)
 Cousins at the creamery at a local CSA. Ice cream power hour on a friday before our bike ride/run on the CVT. 

What a week! Hours of yoga on Tuesdy. Wednesday was a wicked stairs/ball/ab/strength session at the gym, then I worked on some deep hip openers at the pool that afternoon while the kids played ~ I've been too self conscious all season to do yoga while killing time at swim team, but with the entire universe on vacation we virtually have the pool to ourself, so I set up my mat under a cabana and just did my thing, settling into poses like lizard lunge, pigeon, and frog for as long as 7-10 minutes while I read my book! It was lovely and just what my hips and hamstrings needed. I had made a big stir fry before we left for the pool, so ran home, changed, and hit up Sues level 3 class at 5:45 while Nate and the kids got to hang. I need to remember her intensity before subbing for her in a few weeks. Intensity, indeed! I was a puddle by the end. Only Sue can make you laugh while pushing your body to its complete limits. She is amazing. Thursday was home practice, gentle and slow with extra meditation (I'm loving my little meditation cushion and alter, and I've started using the genius playlist and making notes when good songs come up to create new class playlists for my classes ~ I have about 15 discs from sue that are her mixes, and there are lots of songs on them that I don't like….but lots of songs on them that I DO ~ this is an easy way to hear random ones, then just keep my notebook on hand to make notes on the song names and appropriate classes to start to configure new playlists without a laborious music making sessions. Way more efficient). Headed out to some stairs to warm up before dance party, which was so great and I forgot how much fun it was to get incredible full body workout for 60 minutes with a giant grin on my face, surrounded by friends. My biggest remorse about leaving ACAC is going to be leaving Dance Party behind. We had a fantastic day with Jeannie and Jenny and Nancy and the kids at Mill Dam, lunch and swimming and running all over while we all sat and chatted the afternoon away. A great night out at the Pourhouse with the family topped of a lovely day.

Today I was supposed to start my Ashtanga challenge. But. I had assumed that because I was able to find the David Swendon DVD's on iTunes I would be able to access them via our Apple TV. (I practice in our basement, where we don't even have a DVD player as we use Apple TV and cable and whatnot). I could get it on iTunes and then hook up my computer to the TV, or turn on home sharing and access it from my computer once I've downloaded it, but after having intense early morning practices all week with great music, meditation and ideas for my classes, I've decided that the sentiment was right on target, but the Ashtanga part wasn't. The discipline? Yes. I need that. So, I'm going to continue with my plan of 6 am yoga. It will simply be my own yoga. It can be tailored to my needs, slow when I need slow, rigorous when I need rigorous, all meditation when I need that. I downloaded this great live 60 minute kundilini practice with Snatam Kaur (my favorite!) which I did do one day, but other than that its just been exploratory. I think that the discipline of getting up at 5:15 to eat and have my coffee, then be on my mat by 6 ~ THAT is what I've been craving. So, thats where I'm headed.

Last night, for the first time in forever, I didn't sleep well. I blame it on TV. I had finished my book, and watched TV. "Scandal", more specifically. Its SO unrealistic, so transparent, SO antifeminist (she says NO! he says I NEED you, she says NO! he says I LOVE you, she pulls up her dress. JESUS). Anyway. This is why I don't watch much TV. I'm too sensitive. It gets me all worked up. I woke up at like 2 and just couldn't get back to sleep. I ultimately came downstairs and started my new book. Was at the gym later, 30 minutes of stairs while I read my (pretty terrible, but must read for book club book) book, then pure barre. Today is the ass kicking barre class, it was awesome. Jyoti came over at 1 and we had a great lunch together and compared yoga notes and ideas, it was so great to see her ~ we are going to make it a weekly event once the kids are back in school. There is just nothing like sharing ideas with another yoga teacher ~ and ideas are nothing if not shared! The best part of teaching is being excited about learning something new and sharing it ~ whether with your students or fellow teachers. We met Bec and Jan at Milky Way farms for some animal time on this incredible afternoon, mucho ice cream (I brought home three gallons. Excessive? I think not). Nate and I had our happy hour run of 4.5 miles while the kids biked then went out to Anthonys Brick Fired Grill.

Tomorrow is a rest day. I will do my 6 am practice then its driving up to the inlaws for the day.

Sunday is teaching twice and Golf. Looks to be a beautiful weekend.

Opening. Opening. I'm trying to get these broken and bruised hips of mine to open. Keeping this heart open. Looking at change as the most exciting of opportunities! Its all about perspective, right?

Comments

  1. Love the happy hour run/ride. And keeping hearts open. Looking forward to the change of season and your new adventures, Melis. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts