Making a leap?

Could we do it?

You know how you think that you want XYZ? And you know for sure that X is import and and maybe Z but Y could easily be S or even a T? Thats a bit how this idea of house hunting has been for me.

The idea of a true neighborhood has been the one driving force, that and a fear of losing what is the best part of our home (the open field) if things change next door. The things that we most didn't want? A big box house. I also very definitively did NOT want more space/square feet. The other thing that we didn't want? A project. I really was thinking that I was vaguely looking for something so unique (more custom touches with more efficient and equal or less space) that I was looking more for fun that anything.

So today? Our realtor took me to this.


Its in a neighborhood. Right outside of the borough. It looks like a normal house from the front, like a normal 1/2 or acre lot. Then you pull down the driveway and its like you step into this mediterranean villa. The pool and yard and pond and pergolas and hot tub and decks and…just and. Its a completely different style of home. Its 26 years old vs our 7 year old home. The home is filled with 3 foot thick windowseats (no exaggeration, there are about 6 in the house, some as long as 15 feet). Its smaller by about 1,600 SF, but has the same # of bedrooms and I think one less bath. A gorgeous office. Incredible gardens. Idyllic porch down by the pond, which is stocked with fish. I mean, I could picture me teaching yoga to the neighbors on the big flat lawn below the pool. Three real wood burning fireplaces. Mudroom! …………but completely unique. The kids rooms would be way smaller, so would ours, but the master is just amazing with the coolest bathroom and closets and beautiful deck and gigantic windows and window seats. The living space is so different, so cool….so cool. It would mean a TON of work. Selling our house. Actually moving. It would be hugely emotional. This is where two of my kids were born, and where 97% of our memories with our children have been made. Its also farther from CVG, which, I know in the grand scheme of life isn't a huge thing, but given the fact that we are there every day right now for swim team, feels huge. It also means entering into that hugely emotional process of bidding, listing, inspecting, countering, receiving offers, etc. Leaving our neighbors! Ugh! I'm going with my Mom tomorrow. Nate doesn't get home till friday, so can't see it till then. It may all be a non issue as it could already be sold by then. I've been giving myself the "everything happens for a reason" speech……..and have already told my Mom to work hard to find EVERYTHING wrong with house as I very much want to be talked out of it if it isn't right. I mean ~ am I crazy? Our house has JUST pretty much gotten set up the way that I like it.

 Because, parties here. 


It was a great day of outside yoga with the kids, body combat, meditation this morning, some new yoga class playlists made, swim practice, *this* house thing taking me by surprise (this house wasn't even on my horizon till 10 am this morning), and outdoor picnicking with the kids. Tomorrow evening I'm doing the ladies 9 wine & dine with Becky, Jen and Nicole rounding out the foursome. A little dance party and a whole lot of of busywork will make the rest of the day a bit long. I'm really, really ready for the school year to end. Its time for freedom. 

Am I crazy to think about moving when I don't *have* to and I do love my house?  

Comments

  1. I'd come visit. I mean, I'd come now, but I'd probably stay longer at the villa. As in, you'd need to drag me out of the hot tub ;-)

    Would the grounds & water features (pond, pool, hot tub) add a lot to deal with as far as maintenance? I love living in a neighborhood and having close friend neighbors that I can borrow & lend last minute dinner ingredients with, that can watch my kids for 20 minutes on short notice if needed, that we hang out with on nightly walks around the block. so I get that. but it also strikes me that you say a factor is fear of...something happening that you don't know will happen, or how, right?

    on the other hand, you are totally way braver at embracing change and big projects than I am ;-) what sign are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jenn, I'm a crazy Gemini. So I'm constantly like "we should do that! Totally!!!" then "WHY DID I DO THAT?" then, "THIS WAS THE BEST IDEA EVER!!!". Someone did my chart once and I'm like a double gemini with cancer rising…….or something basically meaning that I should have been given mood stabilizers at birth. Or, thankfully, found yoga. Nate grew up with a pool so he's always been open to pools, whereas I think that they seem like a pain. The grounds seem fairly easy as they are mature and filled with perennials….as to the pond I have no idea. I know its stocked with fish so I guess there would be some work that comes with that. Yes, a bit of fear/forward looking. Our neighbor who owns the (beautiful) 7 acre parcel is old, thats all. That said his kids are pouring money into the place, a new barn roof, all sorts of new stuff, so maybe even if things changed they don't plan to sell the land? Who knows. I just like staying ahead of change rather than behind it, especially if there are negative financial implications possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad there are people like you, you are needed to drag us cancerians out of our comfy ruts:) that's a really great way to look at it-staying ahead of change. Let me know when we should visit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do it. Just do it. So you have to pack? So you have to bid, sell, close, yadda, yadda, yadda? All we have it time and we need to fill that time with what makes up happy. Plus I want to swim in that pool. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts