Do you ever feel inordinately grateful for a random body part?

I had an amazing, hot, flowing and challenging yoga class this morning. I found my gaze constantly landing on my feet ~ on the extra short toe nails, the callouses on the bottom of both insteps, the nuances of every little bone and muscle as it works in amazing coordination to keep me upright and balanced. Each foot strikes the ground about 800 times in one mile.....so thats 1,600 foot strikes, or 16,000 in a 10 mile race. Thats a lot of foot strikes!

Today, in various one legged balance and strength poses I felt like I could feel my arches strengthening, the tendons of my feet and ankles working in conjunction to keep me upright and strong......and I had this great new appreciation for my feet. Sometimes its really just the little things that awe you once you learn to love and appreciate your body. Feet. Who know?

So this GF thing is going well. It is WEIRD how often I have to remind myself that I am doing it ~ how automatic it is to reach for one of the kids pretzels or granola. Breakfast has been a lot of eggs and avocados, or cottage cheese and fruit and nuts and flax. Lunch is a lot of dinner leftovers, or salads with beans and perhaps some chicken or turkey and cheese. Dinners have been things like Salmon on the grill, brown rice with nutritional yeast and grilled eggplant. Yesterday was a homemade chicken soup from scratch using gluten free noodles. Today we branched out a little with pulled pork and some stone ground corn grits with some salsa and cheese, along with a black bean corn and avocado salad. Strawberries were dessert. Lots of almonds and yogurt for snacks. It's not so bad......and we discovered that our local favorite pizza places makes gluten free pizza! It is stupid expensive, but nice to have to not upend every single tradition in our lives. We had it on Friday. So far it just seems to take a lot more forethought and label reading. I have to rethink my usual menu items and challenge myself to reach out to find new things that the whole family will enjoy. Interested to see what the Dr tells me tomorrow.

Tomorrow, an easy 4 or 5 mile run, maybe 2 on Friday, and some yoga on Saturday before the race. Nate leaves Friday and I'm dreading it.

Comments

  1. Funny how we normally don't pay that much attention to our feet (other than the toes and tonails, lol). Glad the GF thing has been a fairly easy transition for you and yay for GF pizza!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts