Meditations from the Mat.

"At a Native American gathering in Arizona for the 1999 summer solstice a Hopi elder said: "There is a river flowing now, very fast. It is so great and swift that there are those who will be afraid. They will try to hold on to the shore. They will feel that they are being torn apart and suffer greatly. Know that the river has its destination. The elders say we must push off into the middle of the river, keep our eyes open and our heads above the water. See who is in there with you and celebrate. At this time in history we are to take nothing personally, least of all ourselves, for the moment we do that, our spiritual growth comes to a halt. The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves, banish the word 'struggle' from your attitude and vocabulary. All that we do now must be done in a sacred way and in celebration. We are the ones we've been waiting for."

Now, go to your mat and push off from the shore. "

I decided to give up coffee. It just has been hitting me wrong lately. I've been drinking it since I was 18 or so. Today was to be my first day without it. (I'm not giving up caffeine, I happily made some green tea.) I got up early to read my daily meditation and do a very brief yoga practice before the kids got up. This was todays meditation. Ever find the EXACT words you need to read, EXACTLY when you need to read them? These were them. This was what I needed, today. With all of the change in the air, these kids growing up before my eyes, the end of school, my baby turning two, the beginning of marathon training, Nate entering his final year of school......well, I know who is in my canoe. And rather than feeling that I am being torn apart, rather than suffering, it is time to gather myself, time to banish the word struggle from both my attitude and from my vocabulary. It is time to look at these amazing people in my canoe and it is time to celebrate. It is time to banish the lone wolf, and it is time to appreciate all that is sacred about this journey. We are the ones we have been waiting for. 

Long run this afternoon. School party this morning. Let's celebrate, shall we?

Comments

  1. Melis, I gave up coffee years ago and switched to tea. About 2 months ago I finally started brewing my own with loose leaves. It's so much easier than I anticipated and tastes awesome! If you go that route let me know, I've got a TON of loose leaf tea I'm happy to share.....green tea, black tea, white tea, herbal tea, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts