A great vacation and a terrible leg.

It was a picture perfect weekend in Cape May. Long, sunny days on the beach, lots of laughs, sun kissed babies, Jake taking epic three hour long naps in his stroller parked under an umbrella, great meals, a beautiful night for a family portrait, Uncle Charlie's for Ice Cream, great food, fun with friends, boardwalk bike rides, a great second birthday for my baby boy, really warm ocean temps for this early in the season, sandcastles, Luke caught his first fish on Pop Pop's boat, and my leg continued to get nothing but worse. Ice, stretching, and pain so bad that it almost takes my breath away.

This morning I got a massage, but nothing is touching this pain. I went to the Dr at one, and was sent immediately to X ray. He suspects a stress fracture of either my hip or femur. Orthopaedic appointment on Thursday afternoon. MRI probably in my near future. X-ray results probably tomorrow morning. Painkillers in the interim. Shit.

If I have a stress fracture there is no Marathon, at least not this year.

This is an unexpected turn of events.

I've already decided that I'm going with this one. I started to panic.....but have decided to embrace whatever is going to happen. If it is no running.....its no running. Maybe it means I take up swimming and biking again and tackle Tri's in earnest once I can run again. Maybe it means my body simply needs to rest. Maybe there is no stress fracture, but something else, and this is just a warning signal that I was pushing it too hard. Who knows. At this point it is all out of my hands. Cross your fingers for me, will you?

Comments

  1. Oh crap. So sorry, Melis. Thinking of you. Here's to hoping that this little detour won't sideline you for long in your overall running story. Or any of your other athletic pursuits. You've still got this. Thinking lots of good thoughts for a fast recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Melissa. That stinks. KUP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awful. :( I hope the pain eases up at the very least. Thinking good thoughts and sending you my best wishes for a fast recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts