The wee one and a sneaky shift.


Smalls and I got in a great run this morning with Jeannie and Henry. It was a positively PERFECT morning and I got to try out Jeannie's hydration belt, which she generously lent me for marathon training and it worked well for me. I'm so looking forward to a really long run over Memorial day weekend down at the beach.

In looking ahead to the end of school I've been recognizing that things are going to change. No more three days a week with the luxury of just one child.......so I've been steadily and sneakily changing up Jakes schedule to benefit all of us. I've now got him not napping until 2 PM. This is huge. He naps from 2-5 (or whenever I wake him if we need to go somewhere) then goes to bed between 7:30 and 8 (depending on whether I've woken him or let him sleep till 5). He sleeps till 8:15 or so, and my bigs sleep till about 7:30, sometimes 8. This means that all summer I can get up around 6 and run for up to 90 minutes before anyone even misses me. This means that I can then go to a 9 am yoga class, we can all be at the pool by 10:30, come straight home and into bed at 2, and have afternoons playing in the backyard or field or playground until dinnertime. This is really, really good. It is amazing what a little tweak in a schedule can do. I feel so free now as I look towards the end of school!

We have a weekend of beautiful weather ahead of us, a party to attend, a Preakness party to host, a garden to put in, a round of golf to play, and a T ball game to watch tonight. I hope to sneak a run in there both tomorrow and Sunday, though tomorrow may be next to impossible as we are hosting a bit of a crowd suddenly. I'd like to hit 40 miles this week. My toe was THROBBING last night, and I was worried as I strapped on my shoes this AM, but it was fine while I was running. I'm tending to it carefully and it appears fine. He prescribes me ABX as it was infected but I'm not taking them, I avoid ABX at all costs and it really seems like overkill in this case. The Gluten free thing is getting real: I feel bread and especially trader joes peanut butter pretzels screaming my name...........it's hard, but we are sticking to it. I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend.

Comments

  1. Genius idea on moving Jake's nap! Does he fall asleep in the car? Charlie does this on me all.the.time and it messes with his naps. But I would love to not *have* to be home by 1 for naps this summer, it would make for a rushed, quick, morning of activities. Hang tough with the GF, do you feel different?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg he used to, especially earlier in the school year. I used to wake him up as I was paranoid about being late for school and I wanted to feed and dress the kids all at the same time. I started letting him sleep, feeding the bigs, and bringing Jakes clothing downstairs. while they eat I lay out their clothes. They are done eating by about 8:15, which is when Jake wakes when left to his own devices. I bring him down and feed him while they go up and dress themselves. Then I throw his clothes on and we leave for school at 8:45. That extra 30 minutes of sleep (I used to wake him at 7:45) seems to be what did the trick for him, he now stays up till 2 no problem.

    I do feel different, but mostly just because my diet is even cleaner than it was. I'm eating much more intentionally, and have increased variety out of simple necessity. As to whether or not it will help with the (two different) auto immune issues Nate and I are dealing with, the Dr says it will take 4-6 MONTHS to see a change, so that is a bit frustrating.......we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie is almost always up by 7, and we are out the door by 8:15 for school. Latley he's been falling asleep around 11 (in the 6 minutes it takes me to get from home to school for pick up). But he'll still go down at 1 for nap some days. With the summer we won't have to be out so early, and I'd love to have a later nap, so we can do more in the morning. Nate will be super flexible this summer, so maybe I'll try pushing Charlie back a bit.

      4-6 months seems like a long time to see a change! We are having a lot of problems with Charlie and allergies/excema so we may be going GF for him...

      Delete
  3. Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend. I still remember how wonderful it was to make the shift to the littlest having only one nap...so freeing! Perfect timing for the summer.

    What hydration belt are you using? I just use a handheld on long runs (over 1.5 hrs?) when it's hot. I thought I would hate it, but it was much better for me than the belt I tried since I am so short-waisted and it rode up like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karly its an Amphipod. I don't ever know or remember what short waisted means as I don't even have a waist......I wore it low around my hips and had to like double the size of it to make it fit me from my tiny friend Jeannie. Jake has been on one nap since like 9 months like Julia was (the economy of multiple children and all) but this one hour shift seems huge somehow). Our day just feels exponentionally longer as we can do so much more in the morning without facing the ruination of our day via a sleeping car seat baby if we lunch somewhere. PArty on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have big hips and a small, but short waist...very little space between my hip bone and ribs. Everything rides up. I will have to give the amphipod belt a try. That is the handheld I use. I love the shape of the bottle as it fits very comfortably in my hand.

    Now I understand the nap deal more clearly. You are so lucky you have such good nappers. If mine were to sleep that late, they would never go to bed at a reasonable hour. Plus, they both gave up naps so early (2.5ish for both) that I barely remember the pleasure of afternoon quiet. So glad your schedule shift is working so well. Love when you hit little stages where things suddenly feel easier (or at least you get to move on to a new set of parenting developments ;) ).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts