Hydration and yoga.

I had an amazing 75 minute yoga class this morning, then headed straight into the sauna. Listening to my meditation music, I stayed in this pose for a good 20 hot sweaty minutes. I could feel my tight left hamstring (the one I hurt wrestling with my 100 lb heavier than me husband on Friday night) fighting.....then ultimately relaxing. It was wonderful. It is such a simple pose, yet the benefits are abundant:


Physical Benefits:
  • Relieves fatigue in the legs an feet
  • Prevents edema and varicose veins
  • Soothes the nervous system
  • Relieves mild backache, headache, and insomnia
  • Relieves symptoms of arthritis
  • Alleviates urinary and respiratory disorders
  • Increases circulation
Mental Benefits:
  • Reduces stress
  • Relieves mild depression
  • Relieves anxiety
After all that sweating and stretching I'm officially into hydration mode. Being the worlds worst drinker of water, this is always a challenge to me. I'm armed with lots of herbal tea and seltzer, and am on a 48 hour mission to load up. I can't wait to take my watch on a short, slow two mile jaunt tomorrow, and then onto rest day then race day! We are planning to spend the afternoon at the farmers market and the playground......after my nap, that is. I'm really tired lately, so just trying to take advantage of my opportunities to rest when I can get them. Might as well load up on rest before Nate leaves and my job gets 100 times harder. 

Anyone else have a favorite restorative yoga pose that you turn to for relaxation or meditation? 

Comments

Popular Posts