Meet Ruby!



Ain't she a stunner! I know lots of women who get excited about expensive jewelry (and I admit, I wouldn't turn it down)..........but this makes me way more excited than diamond studs arriving on my doorstep! The red stripe gave her name, and when I looked up the meaning of Ruby to find that it meant "fire and passion" ....... well, it's meant to be. I've been waiting for this little beauty for quite a while now, and I can't wait to take her on a short, slow two mile jaunt on Friday. Happy Mothers day to me!

Today I did 5 at my (hopeful) race pace. I started right off at a 7:53 pace, and worked my way down as low as 6:50 at times. It was only 5 miles, of course.......the rub lies in doing it for 10. I felt good, but admit that keeping up that pace on the treadmill surrounded by lululemon clad sculpted boobs and half naked old men rather than cheering fans and thousands of other runners was a bit of a challenge. Interested to see what Sunday brings.

Pure chaos today ~ school, then a plethora of Dr appointments for me. I love my hippie doctor. She practices IMT .....and she isn't really a hippie. Like, she shaves her armpits and smells good and stuff. She is just really, really nice, and really, really intuitive, and hit the ball out of the park with me in several areas in our 90 minute appointment. She thinks that a lot of my issues are related to a combination of gluten intolerance and PTSD, and I'm willing to give it a go for the 4 months that she recommends. I can say that working with her was extremely emotional, and healing, and spot on. Our bodies hang on to things that our minds tell us we are over (even when they aren't).......and I want to heal both my mind and my body of old traumas, of which I have had more than my share. We had a lovely family dinner at Iron Hill, which has a full two page GF menu. I had a delicious quinoa concoction and felt great. It's weird that after only 6 or so days of being GF I can feel changes happening in and to my body.

More chaos tomorrow with a morning at the gym, pottery tomorrow night.....and my sad goodbye session with my buddy Nate. He leaves Friday. Friday is nuts with taking Nate to the airport, heading down to the expo to pick up out bibs and swag.........then some sort of rest day/ fun day with the kids on Saturday. Picked up three books today while on a post run bookstore date with the Jakester ~ "The G Free Diet", Meditations from the Mat, and Running with the Mind of Meditation.

Life is such a journey of good times and bad. I tend to want to push through the bad times, oftentimes without acknowledging the reasons for them. No pain, no gain is great and all......but sometimes pain (be it emotional or physical) is telling us important things. My emotional body is screaming at me ~ PAY ATTENTION.......so I'm trying.

I'm still giggling at my new watch. I love her.

New big decision is to run with, or without music on Sunday. I never ran wtih music before this winters treadmill extravaganza. I also thrive on the crowd and their energy, and wonder if listening to music may deprive me of that. Then again, certain songs on my ipod pace me really well.

Todays run was a good indicator of what I can do. I spent a post run 15 minutes in the sauna, before showering at the gym before the rest of my crazy day. I'm still wearing my compression socks. I love them.

Do you use music when you race? Lots of the weird purist runners eschew it.......I'm not a weird purist runner......but at the same time, well.....maybe it would be a fun experiment.

THoughts?

Comments

  1. Oh, my! Ruby is a beauty! What brand is she? I keep contemplating a Garmin 210 (can't commit to the bigger sized ones), but I hated the bezel one (305?) I tried so thoroughly that I worry I might hate them all. Good news that you are feeling good on the GF eating plan (hate the word diet ;) ) and your doctor is so intuitive. It's hard to find people who really listen and don't want to just prescribe a pill for what ails you. (Not that pills aren't good when necessary, of course).

    Music? Yes, I like it. I don't think it's 100% necessary for me in a race though. I do enjoy interacting with those around me and soaking up the atmosphere. I always run with only one ear bud though, so I am pretty in tune with my surroundings regardless...or at least as much as someone who is running and carrying on a conversation, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karly, yes, its the 210. I researched the crap out of it trying to pick the right one for me ~ the one complaint kept reading about was the bezel, so wanted to avoid it. Same issue ~ didn't want a computer strapped to my wrist. The other one I had heard good things was the Nike, and at $199 the price was pretty sweet. I did order the one with the heart monitor.....though I've never worn one before and am not sure that I will like it all that much.

    I'm leaning towards playing around with my playlist friday night, taking a few off, putting a few on, and trying your one earbud trick for race day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the red a new color? I have never seen that before. The women's 210 is teal and I thought the generic one was black? That's a beauty! As for the bezel, I had the 305 for a week around Christmas and it drove me nuts. I knew some reviewers had issues with it when it was wet, but I thought it was insanely hard to use when dry and standing still. I look forward to hearing how your first run goes with Ruby and a gear review. :)

    I don't know if you have really nice ear buds or not (I buy fairly inexpensive ones because I just use them for sweaty running in the elements), but if you end up liking the one ear method, you can just cut the other one off. It used to annoy me when it was flopping around or trying to hook it somewhere. I only use the left ear bud, so just snip the right one off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a moron, sitting here configuring it I said it was the 210, its the new 110 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! Totally something I would do. ;) I think the 110 and 210 are pretty similar. The 210 has the virtual training partner you can race against (or lets you race a friend). But that red is way more fun than teal

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just tuck the extra earbud into my sports bra strap. :) My routes take me on a mix of park trails and streets, so I like to have the flexibility to use one earbud (streets) or two (parks).

    When I have done "races" (I don't call them that, they are more "I made it to the finish line.")I have been with other people, and didn't want the music. I just didn't need it, even when I was heavily dependent on music to get me through a 5k.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I'm not a running music person..., but especially during a race. Not just b/c of the 30+ thousand people saying excuse me, etc... (though there is that), but because it's so awesome to hear all of the cheering from the crowds, and the music of the bands, and it gives you (me) way more of a kick than my regular music does. But Tim feels like he could never race w/o his ipod, so I'm clearly not the only opinion out there

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts