Good news. For a caged animal, that is.

We got home from the beach on Monday night and had the Prells over for dinner, along with their new addition, Maggie the wonder dog.  We gave them our old crate from the Mulligan era. We set it up to make sure we had all of the parts, and of course it promptly became the kids favorite new toy. I feel like Jake, except I'm not smiling. Caged. This not working out thing is for the birds. How on earth do people do this for months or years on end and be happy? Urgh. It hasn't even been a week and I hate it. I'm officially not into this "rest" crap.

In good news the xray came back negative for stress fractures! It apparently showed mild arthritis, but that is not what is causing this sort of pain. I'm hobbling around, and Nate is out of town, so its all me, all the time. We had a great morning at the pool, and everyone is off to sleep, I'm hot on their heels after a late night of book clubbing it last night. I'm extremely relived to hear no stress fracture (the prognosis on that? 6-12 months of TOTAL rest. Yeah. Not good, so the xray news comes as a huge relief) but also very curious as to what the hell IS going on in there as I am still in blinding pain. The pain stuff isn't helping at all (ketoprofen), and only upsets my stomach so I'm not bothering to even take it at this point. I'm hoping that tomorrows appointment yields at least some clues as to what may be going on. Till then, in my rest cage I remain.

I also had my first "slip" in this GF thing last night. I debated bringing up the whole GF thing with my very good friend and the host of book club (which has evolved into a dinner club as well as a book club) last night. I didn't want to influence what she made, so just decided that I would adapt what I ate to what she made. The salad was perfect, a homemade balsamic and no croutons. The appetizer was easy, eat the grapes and cheese and skip the crackers. Dessert was cool too, a delicious homemade and GF creme brulee. I was eating the dinner (an asparagus and crab dish) , surreptitiously skipping the crumbled breadcrumbs on top, which I know technically cross contaminated the dish but I was whatever on) , when she mentioned the flour in the sauce. Doh. I was almost done my serving. I admit, I should have, could have, asked, but I was a little ashamed to be *that* person, who asked, and then didn't eat, and left the hostess feeling bad. So, I don't know what to do about that. It's been such a long time since I was a person with food *issues* (since I was veg*n) that I've sortov forgotten about how awkward it can be in social, particularly intimately social like dinner party, situations. Have to work on this one.

Comments

  1. Good news so far. Do you think they will send you for an MRI? Not to worry you, but I have known a few people who had the xray be clean and have the fracture show up on MRI. But in both of the cases, the fracture was very small (hence not showing up on the xray) and definitely didn't take 6-12 months of rest. Continuing to send good thoughts your way. Do you swim? If you get the okay for that and it doesn't hurt, it can be a decent alternative. Maybe easier on the hip than biking? Anyway, I sympathize with your frustration. Hang in there. Or lock yourself in the cage and let the kiddos fend for themselves. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karly, In my heart of hearts I know that its a stress fracture. Nothing else makes sense with this kind of pain. I'm scared. Right now no activity sounds possible to me, so I'm just staying off of it as much as possible with the kids. I literally could almost fall down with pain if I do certain actions or certain quick sorts of movements (i.e chasing Jake or something). I think that I will get an RX for an MRI tomorrow, that is my guess, anyway. I've been an athlete my entire life and never been injured before, so this is all new to me........so I'm in unchartered territory, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continuing to think of you. It still sounded like a stress fracture to me, unless you really tore something badly. Either way sounds crappy under the best of circumstances, let alone in the current fast flowing stress of your life. Hoping you have a doctor who runs and "gets it" and that there are some interim alternatives. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Melis, so sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. In terms of the GF thing, I think social events like book club are hard to contend with. My best advice is to view this as another way of taking care of yourself and the best way to do that is to ask the host of whatever event what they are serving and what you can bring. It's the only way to really know. You aren't a pain the in the ass by taking care of yourself. If someone things that, well, then I am not sure he/she is cool enough to be your friend. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally removed my previous comment due to spelling errors. There is a reason why we are friends. Anyway, I had a stress fracture in my ankle as a result of marathon training. Was up to mile 18. Wanted.To.Hurt.Someone.Badly. A wise yoga teacher once said to me concerning adversity, "What is this experience designed to teach me?" Hmmm. Not.To.Stab?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda, I agree. The host (one of my closest friends) would have been awesome about it, to the point of making an entirely GF meal for EVERYONE, and I just didn't want to stress her out like that, you know? The "what can I bring" tactic would have been a good one. Didn't remember the stress fracture, though now that you mention it it is vaguely coming back to me. Yes, the frustrating thing is that it is probably trying to teach me not to be ME (i,e not to jump in with both feet wild and uncaring and stupid with a body that likes to defy conventional wisdom having never been hurt before........which is probably how I will go into swimming. Watch, I'll probably not heed the lesson and drown :)) Ahhhh, life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *Huge hugs, Melissa* Thinking of you. I hope you can get some answers soon, and something to relieve the pain.

    And LOL @ Amanda's "Not to stab?" comment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts