Adding classes, II

Okay. So I don't like shopping. I do it seasonally, and as I'm getting older I'm learning what I like, what I wear, and whats worth spending money on. For me, for my life (in fall/winter), its workout clothes, skinny jeans, drapey sweaters, boots, and a few good dresses. I've become very brand loyal to Athleta, with saving money on sports bras at Target and loving gap long sleeve shirts. I love their product, I love their discount for instructors, and I love my Gap card and its coupons and rewards and Gap cash. I go at the start of each season for a refresh, first assessing what I have and what I need. Then, I call Marissa. She knows me, knows my body, knows my sizes, and knows my general likes and dislikes. I called her this morning and told her what I needed, so that when I went in today she had a selection picked out for me to try on. Jake had a coloring station set up and a granola bar and water ready for him, and my things were pre selected. This is all free, people, and available to anyone. One more reason Athleta is awesome.

My goals? A sweatshirt or two, a few pairs of long leggings, and 3-4 new workout//yoga tanks.

What I didn't expect? A gig for October in conjunction with Athleta and Little Nest to do a Pre Natal yoga session (complete with a free outfit courtesy of Athleta which I can go pick out in advance of the day) at my local store. Also? A Moms Morning out kids yoga session (Courtesy of Athleta, again with wardrobe courtesy of Athleta) to teach kids yoga while Moms shop. LOVE THIS!!!! A great opportunity to pass out my cards for my target market, women trying to find yoga/find pre natal yoga/get back in touch or simply discover a yoga practice during or after pregnancy.

Even better? My crossfit studio contacted me this morning asking me if I would like another class, 9:30 on Monday mornings and another one, every other Friday at 9:30. I said yes to Mondays (so, I teach Mondays at 9:30, 12:30 and 5:15) and am going to get back to them about Fridays after I consider my schedule more carefully. This means that I now have a guaranteed 6 classes a week, maybe 7 if I take fridays, and I haven't yet started looking for classes! I'm so excited! I'm honored!

I made out great, finding a zip up and pullover sweatshirt, three pairs of leggings, and four tanks. (details to follow).

After a morning of working out and foodshopping then making lunch we hit Athleta. I spent the 45 minutes while Jake slept and I waited for the bus cooking……..we are meat eaters. Finding organic/local meat is important to me ~ however it can be cripplingly expensive when feeding 5 hungry people. A year or so ago we were at a BBQ at a friends house and she made drumsticks on the grill, and my kids went crazy for them. The place where we get our meat charges about $10.50 for breast meat…..and $3.00/lb for drumsticks! They quickly found a weekly place on our menu. I skin them ~ which is so gross. It used to take forever until I discovered the power of kitchen shears…..now its a relatively quick and less nauseating procedure. After skinning them I rub them with olive oil, salt and pepper, then put them in the oven at 425 for about 30 minutes. I take them out and baste them with BBQ sauce, then return them to the oven for about 10 minutes. Delicious, cheap(er) and local organic meat. Tonight I roasted redskin potatoes with scallions and garlic while the chicken cooked, did broccoli with ginger (olive oil and 2-3 slices of fresh ginger, heat up the olive oil and ginger till it starts to release its flavor, then throw in the broccoli florets, add about a 1/2 cup water and cover, over high heat, for about 4 minutes, tossing occasionally till broccoli is bright green and still crunchy. Salt and pepper). Add a salad make a dressing and its a meal. Easy.

As I had prepped the meat and potatoes I left with the kids to hit Modells to get stuff for soccer. I need pinneys to coach tomorrow, Jake needed cleats and we needed some new balls. I needed new shoes. In and out, home for dinner it was. Threw the chicken and potatoes back in while I made the salad and broccoli, and everything was on the table by 6. Tomorrow is a planned crock pot shredded chicken tacos meal as we have practice for the bigs. With a little bit of planning its totally possible to have homemade meals for busy families. The one thing that is lacking right now is me TAKING yoga classes, but that is going to change once Jake goes back to school, which starts on Fridays.

Do you have any great crock pot or cook ahead meals that you prepare? Easy meal favorites?
The haul. Remember, with a 30% instructor discount its way less painful. 



In non materialistic/food oriented news………the world feels a bit like a shithole, right now. I can't listen to the news in the car right now, if the kids are in it. Somehow I havent yet found an age appropriate way to explain "beheading". It can feel overwhelmingly dark. I love Marianne Williamson. If you haven't heard of her, I encourage you to look her up. This was her proposal today:

I'm sure many people around the world are doing meditation and prayer groups now. There can't be too many of them. Would there be interest here in a two-minute time of silence for world peace at noon each day Pacific, 3pm Eastern, 8pm London and so forth? Let me know if you're interested, and I will start announcing it


If this interests you, as it did me, look her up on Facebook. I will be participating. It may feel like there is nothing that can be done when there is so much evil in the world. On some level, maybe there isn't. But on a micro level? ………maybe, just maybe, there is. And maybe, just maybe, if enough people started joining together, focusing their hearts on peace, sending love into the world instead of hate and injustice, maybe something will shift. Perhaps that shift is so minor. Perhaps that shift only changes the person themselves, or someone that they love. Perhaps closing our eyes and taking those breaths or sending those prayers or intentions changes only our day, not what is happening in the Middle East (or our own towns or cities or even homes)………but maybe that change is better than no change. An invitation to join others in peace is better than an invitation to join others in doing nothing, or to feel hopeless or to feel alone. Perhaps just bowing our heads and feeling solidarity with others who long for change will bring even a moment of peace to our day. And even a moment of peace is a good moment. So, peace, friends. Peace. 


Comments

Popular Posts