Photo catch up. And the end of my workweek.

Books in hand and ready for reading post play time 


Having fun at the restaurant festival in West Chester, a great annual tradition. 

 The kids at play on the beach on a gorgeous September day. 
Julia as she walked down the aisle throwing her rose petals at the wedding 




Lunch duty and my little first grader. 


Well, my two days of teaching business have come to an end. Yesterday was great with 20 in my flow class, 12 at Crossfit, and 5 pregnants ~ one of whom was practicing ON her due date! I LOVE MY PRENATAL CLASS! One of my favorite parts is the community ~ we start by everyone introducing themselves, how far alone they are, and if they know if they are having a boy or a girl. There is a lot of chatter afterwards, who is delivering where, how people are feeling, who has what OB or midwife etc. Its fun to see the women creating bonds and creating a little community. One person was brand new to yoga, and I love the idea that pregnancy can be a way for someone to find yoga for the first time. 

Today was my 9:30 crossfit class, a full foodshop, volunteering at school (incredibly depressing), right off to my 12:30 gentle yoga class (I have one elderly man who comes to class in khakis, a leather belt and a button down shirt. I adore him.). I came home and made a big batch of cheater homemade chicken and rice soup. If you are in a pinch for time its a great healthy go to ~ I buy an organic rotisserie chicken to start with. Sautee up a ton of garlic with some celery and carrots in olive oil while I cook up a pot of brown rice. Pick off of the meat off of the chicken and dice it up fine. Add the chicken to the vegetables, throw in the brown rice (cooked), add a can of corn and a ton of fresh parsley and chives from the garden and two boxes of organic chicken broth….lots of black pepper…..and its a delicious and hearty dinner. That done, I headed out to teach my 5:15 class at crossfit. Both classes there today I did some slow deep flow, then ended each class with 20 minutes of wall yoga ~ pigeon, a bridge/shoulder stand flow pose, and a reclining twist with the twisting leg against the wall, shoulders down on the mat, and pressing the heel of the extended leg into the wall while pulling the toes back towards the face. Its an intense, deep, wonderful twist. They all opted for savasana in legs up the wall, which is a nice option. Seemed to be a big hit. The flow gets everyone nice and warm, then the deep stretched allow them to get deeper into the poses and really open up. 

Today at lunch I was just appalled at the lunch options some kids were choosing. One first grade child had a hot dog, TWO full size ice cream bars, a chocolate chip cookie, and strawberry milk. I was just floored. I don't understand how this can even happen. Its so hard not to feel angry. Are her parents not looking at her cafeteria bills? How are there no controls in place when a child can buy THREE sugar filled treats and "milk" that is nothing but sugar? I mean, really? It was just so depressing. Last year I just let it go ~ this year? I can't. It just isn't right. I'm going to take it up with the principal and the PTO, and see what, if anything, I can do. Parents simply CAN'T be okay with this……or can they? How can they expect their children to learn, to behave, to even THINK clearly completely jacked up on a "lunch" like that? I don't know if I can effect any sort of change, but I know that I can't do anything if I don't try, so I'm going to try. Someone has to start somewhere, and there is no reason it can't be me, right? Right. Tomorrow I get to get in a workout after a few days off, and then Wednesday I get to host my Mom in a Member Guest at CV. I haven't played golf in what feels like forever, and the weather is looking perfect, so I'm very much looking forward to it. As of right now I don't teach again till Sunday morning, unless I pick up some subbing. Nate's poor dad is really suffering ~ the extensive 7 hour surgery that he underwent a week ago didn't take, so he is back where he started. More surgery looms, and he is at a very real risk of losing his foot. This all started back in June with a fall off of a ladder and a broken heel………a simple accident trying to clean a gutter, and is turning into a life altering injury. Life can change so, so quickly……be grateful for good health and strong bodies, friends. It is a gift. 

Jake is going back to CHOP on Thursday….so any and all healing vibes are coveted. I've done a fairly goof job of not being an anxious wreck, but if or when I let my mind go to "that place"
feelings of anxiety can arise quickly and fiercely. 

I hope that all of your weeks are off to a wonderful start and that this beautiful fall weather is inspiring you to be outside treasuring the sun and crisp air. Namaste, friends. 




Comments

  1. I love the community that evolves in prenatal classes too! We also have mom & baby class(es) at the Ashram, so sometimes moms come back with babies and they all grow up together :)

    I've already preached on your FB about school meals - I totally agree there should be oversight; I know that at least in the younger grades at our school a teacher goes through the line or supervises. I also know that in our school there are a significant number of kids for whom school meals are the only meals they are sure to get. This was written by a mom at our school (tissue alert):

    http://www.dirtandnoise.com/2012/12/the-voice-of-a-hungry-child.html

    I am with you in spirit as you try to help effect change in your school! Our kids need food, and they need GOOD, REAL FOOD. Also, I will say that though it seems totally obvious to us, there are a LOT of people who do not make the connection between what goes into our bodies and the way we feel as a result.

    Thinking of you over the next couple days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts