Biking the trail with 2/3'ds of the people yesterday. We were just out for a quick jaunt after school as it was a picture perfect day. I had already worked out so we were just taking it super slow (this is a given while the kids are biking. There are enough other people to contend with, water stops, road crossings (I think that in 1.6 miles we cross two, then of course have to recross them going back. No big deal when running solo, but with two on bikes they both have to stop, get off their bikes, and walk across with me playing crossing guard. Its really more of a slow interval workout than a run). About 3/4 mile from the car on the way back I fell. No idea why or how, just bit it, flat out. Was carrying my phone (I always do, though usually its in a pocket, I don't know why it was in my hand and the kids water bottle, but thankfully they went flying and I was able to brace myself before hitting my face with my hands. Banged up both knees and my whole left arm a bit. It was more just shocking than anything else. Last time I fell was in a race in WC where there was an open drainpipe in the street ~ it was equally quick, shocking and upsetting. Being up, then suddenly flat out is a scary feeling.
 Sunset before Sues class last night. I knew I had golf early this morning and felt jarred and wanted a good stretch, so hit up Sues class after dinner. Last night was an easy and efficient meal, BBQ turkey meatloaf, roasted butternut squash, GF cornbread muffins and grapes. It was a one oven meal as everything cooked at the same time at the same temp. So easy and I just had to reheat things after we got in from our bike ride.
Luke's soccer team. I love this image of the boys. 

So my question on FB yesterday prompted a lot of conversation. I got a text from one friend who was struggling with making healthy lunches and we decided to meet up at 11:30 for coffee. Her kids have a pretty good deal, they go to the school that I went to, though these days they have a cafeteria. They have two campuses, and I guess the upper campus has a full cafeteria with a chef (so its made on site and mass produced, but pretty fresh and healthy), and the lower campus has the ability to order meals for the kids that then get delivered. Sounds nice. She still likes to pack healthy meals. Anyway, we met and talked about what seems to work, what DOESN'T, and so on and so forth. I continue to forget what a gift my Mom gave us in raising us on homemade meals and healthy food. There is a literal disconnect for me (and Jenn, thank you for pointing it out to me in the comments) because I do take so many things for granted. I forget that what is common sense to me simply isn't common sense to other people. That while I'm feeling so badly for this little girl and what she is eating other people really may not have any problem with it at all. Granted, it is common sense to other people not to run 50 miles a week pushing a double stroller ~ so thats not to say that I'm in any way superior,  I've made more than my share of bad choices (or simply uninformed or illogical decisions) in different (and not any less devastating, at least in the short term) ways. Isn't life funny? Have you seen this movie? Fed Up?  I recommend it. (Though first read the Solomon book. I was up till midnight because I'm so intrigued with this book. It's blowing my mind.)

Off for a day of golf, we have to see if we can defend our win at the Spring major Member Guest (this is just a morning/lunch event), much more low key. It promises to be a beautiful day ~ blessings, all! 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts