What a weekend.

 The little boys men head out in the brief burst of sun between storms to play a one club. This is fun, and generally only happens after some drinks. They each choose only one club from their bag, and play just that club from tee to green, driving, putting, all of it. Four guys played. Each won one hole before lightening struck again. They came back in again, had a cigar, and when cleared to play went out for a one hole championship. We watched from the balcony as they played 18, and Nate won! We were rowdy :)
 This was followed by a team putting competition. 5 teams of two. This was ridiculous. People were competing in bare feet…..distractions were rampant and raucous, people leaping over puts and being generally hilarious and silly as they attempted to confuse and distract the competition. Albert and Mike won after a fierce three hole putt off. 
 I got to Caddie for Julia today in the Chipper Hoffner tournament. She and Luke both participated, Julia in the 6 and under division and Luke in the 7-10 division. I was so proud to be out there supporting my girl. 
And…………….she WON!

My crossift class yesterday had THIRTEEN, a new high! I let them all know that as of next week I was going to be on a tight schedule so was going to be rigorous about starting class on time and ending it promptly due to having to get to my prenatal class by 11. All are on board. I'm psyched.

So yesterday we went out strong. Nate and I were on fire, playing SO WELL. We were in the money hitting two incredible shots on #2 which was a two best balls (a par 5, so closest to the green in 2 shots). My tee shot and his second put us essentially on the green. Its hard to imagine that anyone was going to beat it. We were psyched as that was a money prize. We then went out birdie, eagle, par, par etc……till on 7 the lightening horn sounded. We threw our clubs in our friends cart and the caddie and I sprinted in towards the clubhouse in a downpour as thunder roared around us. We all hit the 19th hole and waited to be cleared to go back out. Nate and I were psyched…with the way we were playing together we were heading towards a possible win of the tournament. 

Then? Then we got the word that they were canceling the tournament as it looked like storm after storm was coming :( SO BUMMED. We NEVER play that well together and it was all for naught! We ended up staying at the club, hanging out with friends, the guys played some silly golf in the weather breaks, and thee ladies solved most of the worlds problems. We stayed for a fantastic dinner with 4 other couple friends, and came home exhausted. 

This morning we had an exciting trip to the park which almost ended at the ER as Luke took a brutal header into playground equipment, leading to a HUGE 2' high bump on his head (so so sad) but after talking to his Pedi we opted to monitor him, ice and tylenol it while we checked him every 15 minutes for concussion signs. I hate, hate seeing my kids badly hurt. Poor fellow. This afternoon was their tournament and then dinner and awards……and we were so proud of both of them. Julia won, extra exciting, and it was just an all around great event. 

Tonight? Laying out first day outfits, backpacks filled with their required gear, and lunch boxes for tomorrow. Big morning tomorrow as we put Luke and Julia on the same bus for the first time as they head off for their first days of first and second grade. My babies. 

It was a superb summer. I'm so proud of my kids and feel like we learned and lived so much this summer. 

Buckle your seat belts people. Its back to school we go. 

Deep breaths. Deep breaths. 

Comments

  1. That first picture alone makes me wish I played golf! It looks so gorgeous there! Actually, when I was in high school my dad tried to convince me to join the golf team instead of XC and I sometimes wish I would have listened (though that would have been a rather late start anyway, I suppose). I'm curious, did you learn golf strictly for fun or did you take it up because it can be good to know in the business world (or so I've been told... probably wouldn't do anything in my field). At any rate, I think it is SO awesome that you expose your kids to so many sports! Hope the first day of school goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NEVER too late to start! I didn't start till I was 28 (so, 11 years ago? Lost a good 4 years to pregnancy and breastfeeding and a FULL year to the broken hip). My Mom didnt start till she was 40, and she is an AWESOME golfer now at 61! I learned because I started dating Nate, and he played, and I had always wanted to play. I feel like my background as a field hockey player helped me pick it up quickly, but when I really look at it, with kids and the hip, I've really been playing for about 5 solid years now…..and I'm playing very competitive golf, and also didnt take lessons! It was such a help to me in the corporate world, I was so intimidated the first time I went out with colleagues, as I heard them talk about it all the time I assumed that they were all awesome……only to find that most of them were shooting upper 90's….not much different than I was at the time, even as a new golfer! The best part of golf is how it is handicapped. If you love it, you will want to play it, and if you want to play it, you will get better at it. It is a great sport, mostly because you can play it for your entire life. There is a woman that routinely plays on ladies day who is 83. EIGHTY THREE! Playing 18 HOLES! So go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts