On Patience.

K



Thursday was lovely. Not the weather, it was our first grey, rainy day of fall. To be honest? All I wanted to do was snuggle up with my book, a cup of tea and pajamas and hang out on the couch. However, as the kids had off school and Jake had a 9AM at CHOP, that wasn't happening. With the crazy respiratory virus that is going around (and in our area) it was nice to leave the bigs home with Nate instead of having him come to this appt like he had the last. The appointment went well. Yes, the lump is still there. HOWEVER, Doc says its smaller. Smaller is good! We have to go back again in two more weeks, but no more abx are needed in the interim. That was good news.

After that we hit the gym. The kids like going to the Y, Luke now goes to the older kids room where they have cool board games, books, and exercise bikes that he likes. It was a madhouse of kids as everyone had off, and the kids have lots of friends there. I had a good cardio and kettle bell workout while I continued to obsessively read my book (I love stairs as I can read while doing them.). Afterwards we came home for a quick lunch then were off to the movies. We saw A Dolphin Tale II, which was really cute. With my mind immersed in thoughts of "difference", of course I was reading way too much into the movie, and actually cried when the baby dolphin accepted the dolphin with the prothestetic, recognizing her as one of her own due to her "looking" the same. This book just has my head spinning with thoughts of what it means to be different, to look different in a world which in many ways celebrates conformity. It's opening my eyes to how we as parents think about our children ~ how much of our identity is tied up in them, and what exactly that means for our children.

I was able to go to Sue's inversion class Thursday night, and nailed something that I've been working on for a while, a frog kick up into handstand. I can now do this without relying on the wall, and hold it. I've also finally learned the trick to consistently kicking up into a forearm balance without ever needing the wall- it's all about kicking up with my opposite leg- the less power prevents from over kicking and I go up more gently and with way more control. Once up, balancing on my forearms is easy. None of these were things that I could do independent of a wall a year ago. There are still lots of things that I CANT do. I can't press up into a handstand (ie lift up into it without kicking with one leading leg, donkey kicking into it, or frog kicking into it). That's my new focus. I've been working on "toe taps" from the Laura Sykora handstand prep tutorial. These seemed impossible at first, but now I can do them. From there, I have to work on straightening my legs, then, ultimately, pressing up. It's fun to see progress. It's fun to have poses you can't yet do, but are working on. I love this about yoga. There is always so much to be learning, always so much to be challenging yourself with, always something new to be trying. I never feel frustrated by what I can't do- because I've learned that with time, it comes. With time and practice, the asana comes. And there is no rush! I plan to be practicing yoga for the rest of my life, and I plan to live a good long time.

My yoga class with our local homeless shelter is official! It's to be bi weekly, 75 minutes, and with the women residents only. The class with Athleta is set up for mid October, on a Thursday morning. I was asked to sub at SOY again but unfortunately Nate and I are in a golf tournament that day so had to pass it up. I'm putting together and hosting a reunion for the girls who I went through my teacher training with, which I'm looking forward to. With soccer wrapping up in the next few weeks I've decided to start looking for a couple more teaching opportunities. I have a specific goal of what I'd like to earn per month and I'm currently about $200 short of that, so if I can pick up the additional classes to make up that difference I will be exactly at the goal I set for myself financially.

Friday I got to get a killer cardio workout in and mix in some plyometrics. My left shoulder and neck are still sore and tight from my running spill, so Nate sent me off for a deep tissue massage while he treated Jake to a boys lunch. It was so, so nice. I'm increasingly aware of my need for physical self care as a yoga teacher, and have my first Chiro appointment in forever this coming week. 

Last night we entertained good friends. I made up a huge double batch of turkey chili with brown rice and cornbread and guacamole. I know that I will probably never get back into to corporate lending. While I was able to make a lot of money and enjoy my career, I don't have any interest in working 50 hours a week and not being here when my kids get home from school in those critical middle and high school years. I feel lucky that as the kids get older I have the ability to pursue the things that bring me joy, rather than having to simply pursue money. I'm considering getting involved in massage and the birth community again. I feel this calling to help nurture and support women making that transition- through pregnancy, birth, and into motherhood and that first year of birth. Talking to my dear friend who recently had a baby at the birth center with a doula, is nursing, and is a massage therapist-------and talking about sleep and schedules and all of that reminded me of HOW much I love all that is pregnancy through that first year of new motherhood. How exactly I am going to do that? I'm still working that out. I know that I have a passion for supporting and encouraging pregnant women and new moms. I was a chapter leader for our local breast feeding group. I love newborns and feel like somehow- whether volunteering as a doula for women coming in without birth partners at a hospital, getting back into prenatal massage - something- is in my future and it's in this arena. 

My phone meeting with the Aramark food person was very informative! I have another meeting set up this coming week with the Principal at the kids school to talk about what I learned and to see what I can help change. I love having the time to get involved directly in activism ~ nothing changes if no one works to change things, right? So why not try? The benefit of having a background in sales is that I'm not afraid of talking to people, of putting myself out there, of trying to learn how I can help, and helping where I can, or finding ways to gather others who are interested in helping to institute change.

Our team had a GREAT game bright and early this morning, we hit the gym for a quickie in between, and are now at Luke's game. 

We are meeting the Carrs to hike at Wissahickon again this afternoon- then heading out for dinner with the kids and friends and their family. 

Tomorrow is all about teaching, soccer, and Eagles!
I hope that you are all having a lovely weekend. While I don't love our winters in the NE,.....our Autumn can't be beat. It's incredibly beautiful here and there is an overabundance of festivals/celebrations/events, both in the city and all along the main line. 

Happy happy Saturday to all of the lovely readers of this blog! If you comment on the blog and don't see your comment appear immediately don't fret, I will approve it, but I unfortunately had to switch my comment settings to moderate all comments after becoming the target of some deranged person.

Laughs and love, Melis

Comments

  1. I always love catching up on your life and adventures. I'm sorry for being so behind right now. You guys are always in my thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts