The coming MUD.


I have a really, really dirty race coming up, and it just kind of hit me. Have you ever heard of the Tough Mudder? I'm signed up with a team to participate in this insanity on MOTHERS DAY of all days :). Its really soon! And the estimated completion time is 3 HOURS. I just spent some time looking at the obstacles and I have to admit, I'm a little bit intimidated. Icy cold water? Ughhhhhhh. Nuts! When I saw this poster it made me smile, this will be me in just 3 or 4 weeks. I can't wait. We did a mud run last year, just a 5K, and it was awesome, it was the first event I ever placed for my age group. I was second or third, I forget. Third, I think. I need to outfit plan carefully ~ I learned that both your clothing and your shoes are doomed after a mud run, so this time I know to only wear old things! Have you ever done a mud run? Do they appeal to you?

Today I got in a smooth 10 on the treadmill. For whatever reason I did NOT feel like running, it was a cool and overcast sort of morning and I felt like cuddling up with a bagel sandwich on the huge couch in the cafe and reading. By 3 miles in I had hit my stride and felt good, really good, while running. Resting now before I get all of the kids showered along with myself, then run a couple of errands before Brooke arrives ~ I'm meeting Tracy for a pedicure then am off to pottery. After a week without Nate I'm very much looking forward to some time out by myself and some artistic, rather than athletic energy. My poor toenails. Running is hard, really hard, on ones toes. I've almost given up on having my feet be decent looking, it just is what it is. I'd rather have ugly toes and a strong body than perfect toenails, I suppose. *le sigh*.


Comments

  1. We (meaning me, my husband and our good friends) are doing the Warrior Dash this year. Similar to Tough Mudder, but just a 5K and not quite so grueling, it seems. :)

    I am very excited! As much as I like running, I only really do 5Ks when I feel like I need a goal to reach or to benefit a good charity. This just seems totally different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrianne, I have a friend who did one of those last year and said it was a blast. I think that its a lot like the one I did last year, which was a down and dirty. Is that the one that benefits Wounded Warriors??? When is it? Good luck and remember to wear your OLD sneaker and donate them, I didn't last year and ruined mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost did a mud run last year, but it was kind of a hike and would have required hotel, etc. I just wasn't "that" committed to it, I guess! More than a mud run, I would really love to get into trail running, but unfortunately, I live in a terrible area for such a thing as the trails we have are quite a haul. Maybe when the kids are older and I can get larger chunks of time. I am scheming ways to convince Bill to join me. It's going to take some planning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karly, you crack me up ~ I swear I feel like we are walking this running journey arm in arm sometimes. I'm currently obsessed with trail running, though I'm not doing any of it. I got a special issue of some womens trail running mag and it seems to be featured in all of my running magazines this month ~ I am ready to move to Boulder and run singletrack trails all day long, already! I posted in our local run clubs website looking for good close trails, but the best places are a good 25 minutes away, which makes travel time plus a decent run hard. I'm bummed. I'm looking at a 1/2 marathon trail run for Aug (http://www.pretzelcitysports.com/halfwithalf.html) , but only if I get in at least a few good trail runs first.

    If it all gets to be too much for you and you want to run away to boulder or San Fran with me, let me know. I've run away before :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's my sore joints motivating me as much as scenery, Melis. I am totally down with running away though. To wherever. It's been one of those days. I am so tired. I know you get it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts