Running at Sunrise.


It finally dawned on me. Literally. If I want to run outside, and I want to do it consistently and without pushing a stroller, I am going to have to wake up early. My kids sleep till about 7 or 7:30, Jake rising last at about 8. That means that if I am out the door by 6 AM I can get in a good hour long run without bothering Nate, who is often up late studying. I put my running clothes outside the bedroom door, set my alarm for 5:30, have some toast with almond butter and coffee and water, and was out the door by 6. It was still dark, with the faintest glimmer of sunlight on the horizon. I left my music behind, and listened to the birds, saw the herd of deer in our back field, watched the mist rise and the sun peek his head up above the earth, while the almost full moon still graced the sky. It was absolutely beautiful, and I loved every second of it despite my relatively heavy legs.

I spent 45 minutes on the stairs today (I finished the Lincoln Lawyer, any book suggestions, PLEASE????), then did a non cardio and rather strange class called lean conditioning. It is very specific, targeted and sometimes strange moves, a cross between a barre class and pilates.

I'm laying in bed, about to put the bigs to sleep, then head to sleep myself. I got a lot of Easter work done this afternoon, and have a sitter all afternoon tomorrow to allow myself to get the rest of what I need. Entertaining is a lot of work. I did sneak off for a pedicure this afternoon, and got the best leg massage I have ever had. When he asked me if I wanted to pay an extra $15 for another 10 minutes I moaned "yesssssssssss". My shins are thanking me, and my calves feel great.

Any other early morning runners out there? Its a magical time of day to be outside, and I felt inordinately grateful to be alive, with the coming worries and stress of my day eclipsed my my quiet footfalls in the ever so still morning.

Comments

  1. I often do early morning runs and LOVE them, though not usually as early as before sunrise. Yay for a good pedicure! I need one myself and think I might treat myself this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love an early morning run, but they don't often fit in our schedule (except for weekend long runs). As long as it's not too cold. ;)

    I have had to embrace the night rights. Luckily it's still light out this time of year, but this is more my life:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7wz8Ti8b44

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Running at sunrise is way better, but the video makes night running seem fun, no? My runs are more of a street lit sub division, but whatever!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts