Upside down, me or them?

It was a handstandy sort of day.

Yoga this morning was amazing. I don't know if it was to be representative of the outside weather (it was over 90 today ~ in APRIL!) but Adraina cranked up the heat and cranked up the practice. Starting off with a fire series and heading straight into what she called a "monk walk", though I've never heard of that before.....it was a great practice which included *my favorite*, inversions. I spent 45 minutes on the foam roller last night, so between that, yoga, and a ton of fluids today, I'm feeling rested and refreshed.

Dee brought us a delicious lasagna last night (thanks, Dee) as well as 5 or 6 running magazines. I spent nap time and park time this afternoon reading them.....with my head spinning. Running magazines take running so *SERIOUSLY*. All this talk of fartleks and yassos and the intelligent taper and tempo runs and zero drop shoes and things that I don't know what they mean........I don't know if reading them is good for me or bad. Are they confusing a simple thing (go run, as fast and as far as you can, as much as you want, if something hurts, stop) or am I simply seriously terribly uneducated about running?

Comments

  1. I've wondered about all the complicated running advice, too. Take for example that book, "Run Less, Run Faster" that was recommended by someone here, I think? Supposedly running only 3 days per week makes you a faster runner, if you do it a certain way. Wonder how true that really is? Because some weeks my body seems to tell me to run more, other weeks less. I've thought about getting the book but haven't yet. What are your thoughts on that concept? Have you taken a look at that book yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Here is a link to see the book: http://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-Less-Faster-ebook/dp/B004GTMZ6I/?tag=triads-20

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not heard of that particular book, but have seen people talking about that sort of idea over on a running forum that I have started peeking at. I'm sure that for some people that can be a really effective strategy. My goal, however, isn't to build speed, but endurance, as that is what I will need for my marathon. Pretty much everything I read on that says that building your base is what does this for you. Now, there are different thoughts around building a base, too, but at this point I'm just doing what works for me and my relatively restricted opportunities. For instance, that may mean two longer runs in a row, or a long run slightly faster than I would hope for my marathon pace to be ~ many would say don't do this, but I'm working with what I have within the time frames I have. Certainly tired legs slow one down, and fresh legs speed one up, that is the whole point of a taper before a longer race, so from that perspective, if ones only aim is to run faster, I can see how rested legs would help with that. In building endurance, the best thing to do seems to, well, build mileage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also very "uneducated" when it comes to running. But I like it that way. For me, trying to do things the prescribed way just makes it harder. I lose the freedom that I feel running brings to me.

    But I am also not training for a marathon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just now getting around to seeing your reply, lol. I get you about the endurance thing, that really makes sense. I've wondered if I need to focus more on endurance until 5K gets easier. It seems to be taking forever, and eventually I want to move beyond just 5K.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts