Last long run.



Great shirt, eh? 

I ran my last long run before Broad St, a slow and mildly hilly 10 pushing my Jake in the stroller. It was a BEAUTIFUL sunny 50 degree morning, simply perfect running weather. Its looking like a pretty nice day for Broad St, the forecast at the moment is 70 and sun and clouds.  I'm struggling with setting a goal time. Last year I think I did it in 1:22 and change. Based on my 1/2 time, McMillian has me coming in at just under 1:20. I admit that I think that I might be a little disappointed to be over 80 minutes. We'll see! I'm planning yoga tomorrow, a short 3-4 mile run on Wednesday, and then yoga the rest of the week. Jeannie and I and the kids will head down to the Expo on Friday afternoon to pick up our bibs. I'm excited! We have brunch set up in the city with a big group of us for some post race celebrating. 

I have a date with my bigs tonight to the Phillies game with my Mom. We have great seats and I'm really excited ~ they are getting to an age now where they understand and enjoy so much. I saw young kids (12?) doing the triathalon yesterday, and it made me so excited thinking about how soon my kids will be able to enjoy sports on a more competative level. I think that sharing our love of athletics with our children is one of our biggest parenting goals. I see so many people talk about wanting to raise healthy, active kids......while they sit on the couch eating junk and watching TV. Your kids see you. They don't care what you SAY, they care what you do. 

Is raising active kids important to you? How do you plan to achieve your goal? 

Comments

  1. Raising an active kid is very important to me, and I've seen changes in Hannah since I've started running again. She wants to run in a 5K race with me so badly, but I'm just not sure if I should try to train her yet at age 5. I'm thinking maybe when she's about 7? Anyone have thoughts on that? She also loves to get on the elliptical at least once a day, even though I don't use it that often anymore. You are so right that they imitate us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary all of the 5k's I run have kids fun runs options. They are usually like a `100 yard dash for 3-4 yo's and a 200 yard dash for 5-6 year olds. Around 6 we will start with mile fun runs if they want to do them, but (for us) barely 5 and 4 is too young to consider a 5K. I'd be really careful with the elliptical, too, I've seen plenty of adults at my gym barely do them right and with being a small kid, I'm not sure that one could hold the handle bars in a way to be safe or in any way effective, you know?

    Right now they are focused more on team sports (T ball or basketball), taking our bikes over to the playground for long rides, those short races with us, or going to local little league/high school/pro events. That is just what works for us, but I know everyone is different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dee.engel1@gmail.comMay 1, 2012 at 7:43 AM

    You should so get and rock that shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa - I did a 1-mile fun run with Hannah when I first started back to running and she was proud that she had done it but it was a bit difficult for her (she walked a lot and I had to really encourage her to keep going), so I'm thinking I'll wait a little longer before doing another one-mile unless she really pushes it. I haven't heard about any 100 or 200-yard dashes yet with any of the 5K races I've done so far, but will be on the lookout for one, that would be great for her.

    I'll keep that in mind about the elliptical, thanks--the kind I have at home is an older version of the OrbiTrek, very "bicycle-like," so it's smaller, and she's tall--3 ft. 8 in. She doesn't do it for very long anyway. She also likes to play basketball with me at the park (or tries to, lol), ride her bike or scooter, or kick her soccer ball around with me. Recently she has showed a real interest in softball so I might look into signing her up for T-ball or little league soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts