FIrst Tri and a drastic diet change.

I ran a leg of my first tri team this morning! It was really fun ~ and exciting ~ although I had a long long wait (like 2.5 hours) before my run. I admit to getting alternately bored, then sleepy, then hungry, before my run. I watched my teammate swim, then the handoff to the bike, then admit that my heart was thumping with nerves as he strapped our team timer on to my ankle and off I went. It was a VERY hilly course, and I gave it all I had. I felt good ~ a hard first mile but I sprinted my last 1/2 mile to the finish. I have no idea what my time was ~ anything around 24 minutes will make me really happy due to the difficulty of the hills. Next year I'd like to do the entirety of the race on my own. I have a bike I can borrow and I know I can do it. That said, it was fun being a part of a team and having people cheering for me at the finish. I will find out my/our official time later this afternoon. It was fun running a course I had never run before, I had no idea what to expect other than to have heard that it was extremely hilly. It was also an out and back race, which is slightly unusual in a 5K, but it benefited me as I love having that "You are going home, run all out" mantra in my head once I know that I am on my way to the finish line. The bizarre thing is that it was a Tri, and all done in waves, I was running totally alone. There were no spectators cheering us on until the very very end. I passed two people (totally chicking some guy about 200 yards before the finish) but other than them, I only saw runners returning on my way out, and heading out on my way in. Totally unusual and will be TOTALLY unlike Broad St next week as I will be navigating through over 30,000 runners.

In other news we have gone Gluten Free. Nates naturopath has been urging him that he is gluten intolerant and to adapt a GF diet for the past year. Its SCARY, as it literally means a radical diet overhaul, and with social events can be very marginalizing and annoying. We do a lot of socializing. That said, he has reached a point where if it would work, and make him feel better, it is 100% worth it. In researching it this past week or two as I prepared to stock us up with foods he can eat, I've decided to make the change along with him. It is AMAZING to me how many carbs and sugars I eat (even the healthy, whole grain sort!), and I simply believe that they are not the best for my particular body type. I have an appointment with our Dr on Wed to do some muscle testing and consider the benefits of eating this way for me as well. I'm a little nervous, but something in my body is telling me that the carbs I am eating and the (too much) sugar that I am eating now are not compatible with me feeling like my best self. Add in some other interesting, bizarre  things that I have going on physically, and I'm willing to give this a shot. Can't hurt.

It is amazing what an entire food overhaul this means. I spent two hours in the grocery store yesterday and feel as though I left with very little. It took me 10 minutes at the deli counter alone to find the one brand of turkey that was gluten free. I mean, ITS TURKEY?!?!? Isn't it scary that fillers are put into things as seemingly innocuous as lunchmeat?

This is going to mean a lot more meat and a lot more vegetables. This is good timing, with the farmers markets coming into full swing, and an easier way to pick up our grass fed meats and eggs.

I will say I am amazed, AMAZED at how easily and often I go to grab a pretzel, or a cracker, or how often I cook with breadcrumbs, or meat replacements like my favorite veggie black bean burgers which contain gluten, or how it is snuck into every sauce, premade salad dressing, mix, canned soup, etc etc etc. Certainly this is going to be a huge commitment to even more cooking on my part. The label reading alone took me hours yesterday. I feel confident that this is going to make both of us feel better. I will keep you posted as we plod along on this journey. This was todays post race lunch ~ mixed greens, corn, black beans, chicken, avocado, chipoltle chili flakes, fresh lime, jalapeno olive oil, and a new find courtesy of A taste of Olive ~ Serrano Chili Honey Balsamic vinegar. Delish.

Anyone else out there gluten free? Thoughts?

ETA: The results came in ~ our team placed first in the Coed division and I came in 5th amongst all women! Go team Sink or Swim! 

Comments

  1. Congrats on the Tri! that's awesome. I am not gluten free but had someone mention this one little thing once regarding gluten free lunch meat, they are still cutting the meat on slicers they use for other meats that are not gluten free. So you have some slight cross contamination going on with that. Not sure if that would mess anything up with your changes but just something to consider when buying lunch meat. Good luck with GF hope it makes you both feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not GF here, either, but your post made me want to research it (since I've been hearing so much about it lately) and I wound up taking a quiz to see if I might be gluten-intolerant and guess what, looks like there is at least a possibility that I am, which would explain some of my symptoms. I might have Daniel take the quiz, too, as he hasn't felt well for some time now. So guess I'll be trying GF for a couple of days and see how I feel. Good luck, I'm sure it won't be easy to live GF, but it sounds like it will be well worth it. By the way, I heard they have gluten-free bread. I'm interested to know what they use in place of the gluten that makes everything stick together, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh duh, meant to say Congrats on the triathlon! Sounds like you did great. Can't wait to hear what the time was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your tri relay! Are you a swimmer already? Open water, wetsuits and a crowd of kicking feet are a little intimidating to me in terms of ever doing a tri. I can see you rocking out an Iron Man in the future though. :)

    As for the GF, I do keep a little informed about it because my girl is at a higher risk for Celiac disease. We luckily have no food allergies at this point and I can say that it would seem hard for kids to deal with in school, so I am hoping we don't have to deal with GF until the kids are older (if ever). That said, as an adult I would definitely give it a try if it were something that could be beneficial. I know you aren't a Paleo fan, but I know GF adults that use some of those recipes because they tend to be GF as long as you stay away from prepackaged ingredients. The hard thing about GF, like you have found, is that gluten is in soooo many things. You even have to watch certain spices, etc. if you are cooking at home. But it's a diet change that a lot of people benefit from at there are also tons of GF products available. I know some of our pizza places even have GF options. Do you use a slowcooker at all? I don't often because the kids refuse to eat meat, but http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ has a lot of GF recipes because one of her kids has Celiac. Might give you some convenient starting points because I know how crazy busy you are. Hope this helps Nate. I know a friend of mine started with her daughter about 6 months ago and saw big changes (her kiddo is 4) in behavior and her eczema really cleared up. Totally worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I have also heard that this pizza crust is awesome. :)

    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-pizza-crust-recipe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts