"Thinspiration"? WTF?

Okay. I accept the last three words of this. For HIM? For cropped tops? For miniskirts? I'm awed at some of the things I see going around on Pinterest. Things that people who battle with eating issues or body image issues or weight are pinning. If HIM is your motivation, you will never get there. If how you look, vs. how you feel is all you care about, you are probably doomed. I run because it makes me healthy. It makes me proud of myself. It makes me feel as though I can make and achieve goals. Miniskirts and a body I am proud of may be nice side effects, but what I get out of running (or working out in general) eclipses, by FAR, any "cropped top". Give me a freaking break.
Really, thousands of people who have pinned this? You know who looks like this? maybe 1% of the world. 1%, or less. Why do we as women seek to emulate things that the vast majority of us simply CAN'T be? Now, I don't know this woman, she may be genetically blessed and super fit. Or she could be a long legged coke head. No idea. But I'm amazed at the people I see pinning this, even people I know personally who could probably never, ever look like that......and I just have to wonder, why??? Is that inspiring, or depressing? Is all this "thinspiration" simply sending people off to ding dongs and depression? Maybe instead of pinning unrealistic images or phrases like "being skinny tastes better than any doughnut" or whatever people should just stop the obsessing over what they think that they WANT to be, and become who they ARE.
Newsflash: 10 minutes of cardio and a set of lunges and abs are not going to make you look like this. Ever. This is stupid. Hours of working out, amazonian height, augmented breasts, and an extremely restricted diet, or simply amazing, rare genetics are. Pinning this workout, however, WON'T. I guarantee it.


I don't know what's up my ass tonight but pinterest really upset me. I think that the thousands of pins of fattening and sugar laden desserts pinned RIGHT NEXT TO women with giant augmented breasts and concave stomachs pretty much encapsulates everything that is wrong with our society, and why most people are fat. Fat and confused, about why exactly they are fat. Instead of pinning "thinspiration" they should be out DOING something. Its crazy to me.

I ran 6 on the treadmill today, trying to do a slow recovery run. Can I say that running slowly on the treadmill is pretty much painful to me. I mean literally, I felt some pain in my legs/ankles, which when I went up from 6.3 to 7.0 completely disappeared? I can run slow tempo or recovery runs outside no problem, especially when talking with a friend, but find them almost impossible on the mill. I shot for a 9:30 pace and ended up under 9. I then jumped on the stairs for 45 minutes ~ I usually cross train today but for some reason really felt that I needed the extra cardio. I think that missing my Monday Yoga class really threw off my routine. I feel great tonight, some tightness in my hamstrings but I plan to jump on the foam roller and work them out before bed. Nate is at school so I will be in bed early...........the frost warning has me not all that interested in the thought of a 5:30 run.....I think that I may get in another 6 mile treadmill run and a boxing class. I just realized that I was entering my stair mileage as cross training, but it was counting it into my weekly mileage, which I don't want, so from here out I'm just listing the time of the workouts, not the mileage.

One of my favorite parts of being an athlete is being able to eat whatever I want, in fact, having to sometimes force myself to eat more than I want, because I need fuel for my body. I can't stand the "real women have curves" thing any more than I can stand the "real women are bony" thing. I'm not bony and I don't have curves, I have muscles, and that is the way I am made. This whole "real women" thing is played out. All I know is that whatever their shape, "real women" should love themselves, not obsess over what they aren't or what they wish that they were. I believe that our bodies are made to move, and that our bodies and souls are happiest when being honored by exercise. That's just me. I don't believe that a sedentary lifestyle is healthy or honoring to ones body. But I also don't believe that obsessing over these women who 99% of us simply CAN'T and WON'T be is healthy or honoring either. Balance, people, balance.

Anyone else a little weirded out by some of the things they see pinned on pinterest, or is it just me?

Comments

  1. Thank you and agreed. I only log on to pintrest once in a blue moon anymore for many of the reasons you listed. I am logging nowhere near the number of miles you are, but can pretty much guarantee I am burning more calories than the vast majority of Americans. I have some genetic propensity toward being thin, but still never come close to the "goal bodies" posted on pinterest. I would actually bet that the majority are airbrushed facsimiles and not actual bodies. I have had two kids. I am in my mid 30s. I am fit and strong. I am not ever going to grace the pages of Vogue. And that's okay. I am healthy. I am a positive role model to my kids. I am active and happy. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh jeez. I use pinterest mostly for home related stuff and sometimes recipes, and mostly get things that I search for - and I'm certain I've never searched for anything related to THIN. What makes those women look that way? PHOTO-FREAKING-SHOP. And probably God/genes/tanning/makeup. I'm A-OK with being generally healthy and balanced in eating (if we look at a macro picture of a week... and not just the easter candy in front of me) and generally fit enough to run at least a few miles+ with no issue. You are a positive role model for your kids. You are fit and you care enough about healthy foods to be good for them and you. Embrace and love your muscles, friend! Celebrating our bodies only helps our minds and keeps us encouraged to stay healthy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, I wish more people could read this. It SO needs to be about how we feel (healthy, fit, energetic). Sure, I'd love to be thin again (I once was), but I refuse to starve myself to get there. What kind of life is that? I'd rather run more, exercise more, and get more active.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts