The Bad Run


Have you ever had it?

I did yesterday. A combination of staying up too late celebrating with friends and then blogging, missing my husband on Valentines Day (which is odd, as it is a day that I just don't care much about) and having a general touch of the blues added up to an unmotivated and slightly treadmill resenting person. However, the gym clothes were on, I was there, and I made myself do it. I didn't truly enjoy it, and I ran it pretty hard just to FINISH it.

A bad run leaves a bad taste in your mouth. It makes you nervous for that next one.

I'm trying to enlist help from a friend to change my mojo ~ our gym allows other members to check in their friends children who are members. I'm hoping that it works out that one of my girlfriends can check in Jake so that I can take a long, 90 minute jaunt outside and stroller free. I don't like it when I find myself in a little slump of self pity, and I plan to rail against it with all that I got. Self pity, go to hell. Todays run intention is GRATITUDE.

In other news it is Broad St sign up day! Registration opens at 10 am but I won't bother trying until more like 3 this afternoon as they say it will be a madhouse at the beginning. 30,000 runners, and the race sold out in 3 days last year!

Have you ever had a bad run? Do you run your way out of it, or let it set you off track for a bit?

Comments

  1. I was thinking of you today when the moms at the gym were gathering for running club. They meet twice a week and run the streets while the kids are in child care. Can you do something like this at your gym? Or talk them into starting something similar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really annoyed that our gym does NOT have this. I've started entering comments weekly into the comment boxes to request that they start a running club. I don't mind running with Jake, but it makes it really hard to try to do a super long run, as his patience only lasts so long and can be unreliable. There are SO MANY runners at our gym, they really need to get something like this in place. The problem is the off site liability with childcare. I got around this today, as my girlfriend was responsible for Jake and I left (he gets a special wristband to denote who to contact in the event of an emergency) and I ran with my phone. This works, but they could totally work out something even better, allowing more Moms and more aspiring runners to get out there together, build new friendships, encourage one another, etc etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've definitely had some bad runs. I just pushed through it the best I could, and hoped the next run was better. I like your attitude of telling your self-pity where to go. I need to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer that your gym doesn't do something like that. It's sort of odd, considering that your gym has like everything imaginable for gymmers (is that even a word?) and families. I'm not sure how ours deals with the liability, I could look into it if you want, and you can then pass on the info. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love it Meg! Thank you! And Mary, just do your best! If your best is one mile that day, do it and pat yourself on the back. As they say, even in that one mile you are lapping everyone on the couch :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts